We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel Buffet breakfast in London if there is one?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 41
Best Hotel Buffet breakfast in London if there is one?

Hi All,

My husband and I do a lot of travel, coming from Australia. We have been spoilt with great Buffet Breakfasts throughout Asia. Just recently stayed at the Four Seasons in London, without my husband and while the breakfast menu suited me as I enjoy my eggs and bacon, my husband would have found the choices lacking. Can anyone recommend which Hotels in London might have a bigger spread, that caters for a few different tastes?

We usually stay 5 star if that is of any help.

Thanks.

Lozzie64

19 replies to this topic
Boston...
reviews: 12
11. Re: Best Hotel Buffet breakfast in London if there is one?

The thing I liked about the breakfast where I stayed was it was combination buffet and cooked-so if you were rushed you could do the excellent buffet and if not you could order, which didn't take a long time, but tasted fresh and good.

Sydney
12. Re: Best Hotel Buffet breakfast in London if there is one?

Thanks everyone,

Yes, some good suggestions and am considering the Sofitel St James already as an option.

I guess what might work best is a great continental buffet with an excellent a la carte option to order the cooked section, ie eggs of some style. That would probably work best, so anyone want to suggest which Hotels would cater for this style please?

Thanks, Lozzie64

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
13. Re: Best Hotel Buffet breakfast in London if there is one?

Aside from the breakfast, are you considering staying at these hotels? Or was this purely for somewhere to have breakfast?

I was at Sofitel St James in March this year, and whilst the rooms were tiny, the product quality was magnificent, great food and impeccable service. No Sofitel in the Asia-Pacific region comes close. Their breakfast wasn't a huge offering, but fresh and apt for this level of hotel.

A great place for a Continental Buffet + ala carte selection is CUT at 45 Park Lane. Another is Cookbook Cafe at the InterContinental Park Lane (that could be little bias coming through as their Chief Concierge is from Sydney), and also The Caramel Room at The Berkeley is superb.

Edited: 1:22 am, September 11, 2013
Sydney
14. Re: Best Hotel Buffet breakfast in London if there is one?

KVE1005,

Interesting info. The Intercont is across the road from the Four Seasons, where I have just stayed. Yes, we will stay in one of their great Hotel's, just trying to choose which one. I actually liked the look of the Intercont at Park Lane as well, will check it out further. Yes, have noticed the rooms are small at Sofitel St James from the sizes on website, so still wondering about that one.

Will probably have more questions, but got to go now.

Thanks, Lozzie64

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
15. Re: Best Hotel Buffet breakfast in London if there is one?

Just in regards to my mention about Sofitel St James; whilst the rooms were noticeably small, that impression dissipated during the course of my stay. Unless you are spending an extraordinary amount of time in your room, it may not have any bearing on you at all. I wanted to mention this, as I don't want that to have an adverse impression of the property. One of their greatest assets, is their 'genuineness' in service. They are easily on par with numerous hotels often rated higher. The 'value for money' factor with this property is immense.

With the InterCon, it's a comparable property to the Four Seasons, especially if you are using Four Seasons as a yardstick for selecting a hotel for your next stay. And it's not just the Chief Concierge, their Exec Lounge Manager and GM are all from Sydney :)

Edited: 10:35 am, September 11, 2013
Sydney
16. Re: Best Hotel Buffet breakfast in London if there is one?

Thanks again KVE1005, all interesting info. Yes, I nearly stayed at the Sofitel when I was there in August, but had my mother travelling with me and needed a bigger room, but it stacked up well with my research. This time with my husband and we won't be in the room that much, but want location and decent breakfast and possibly bar food as we may eat in one night. The Four Seasons had a great bar and their food was good.

My agent gets good deals at the Four Seasons, Milestone, 51 Buck Gate Taj, Intercont Park Lane, Mandarin Oriental ( but their reviews are worrying me) plus about 8 others, but these are my main Hotels being researched at the moment. How would the Intercont stack up against the Four Seasons in the food department please?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
17. Re: Best Hotel Buffet breakfast in London if there is one?

That's a very tough question, because comparing the two hotels as whole entities is almost like for like, but comparing just their respective F&B Departments isn't a level playing field.

Four Seasons has Adriano Cavagnini who has achieved a Michelin star. Paul Bates at the InterContinental has not, however, they have Theo Randall - who is Michelin starred - but it's an outsourced restaurant. Four Seasons as a group, do not generally outsource signature restaurants, so you rarely find the 'celebrity chef' restaurants. So the common argument is, where would they stand, if Theo Randall didn't have his restaurant at the InterContinental? And Theo Randall isn't the Exec Chef of the hotel, so unless you are dining at his restaurant, he has no influence on the food at the hotel. This was the situation at InterCon Sydney, when Justin North opened his outsourced restaurant.

It also comes down to how much weight you give the Michelin recognition. Personally, I think it's significant. Not just for the recognition of the chef, but also for the practice he brings to the entire operation. That's why so many chefs strive to be mentored by those so highly considered in the industry. I'm sure you know this better than anyone.

So, going on what I know about Four Seasons 'direction' globally, and given the two chefs at each property, I would say on paper, the Four Seasons is ahead. I've dined at Amaranto, and Cookbook, but haven't at Theo Randall's. I usually pay really close attention to breakfasts, because to me, the simplest dining is a fair indicator of their approach to the rest of their offerings. Bottom line? I'd say Four Seasons.

I would take the negative reviews on the Mandarin Oriental London with a grain of salt. When guests say its nothing like Mandarin Orientals anywhere else in the world - they're right. You can't compare the London property to say Tokyo or San Francisco, because you will be disappointed. It really depends on your expectations, as guests have very differing priorities. Business hotel? Definitely not. Leisure and service? Absolutely. Think of the London property like many of the Westins around the world - great room, hit and miss view, unobtrusive service.

It's a hard choice, because you've started your London experience in one of the best.

Sydney
18. Re: Best Hotel Buffet breakfast in London if there is one?

You can say that again KVE 1005, I haven't discounted going back to the Four Seasons and your last reply backs that up. I enjoyed their breakfast and I really enjoyed dinner in the Bar area as well. We had dinner their twice in 5 nights as I had my 76 year old Mum travelling with me and the first night we did not arrive at the Hotel till after 9pm from Australia, so dinner in the Bar and the second was after a day travelling out of London and Mum didn't want to walk anywhere, so dinner again, both meals were great and their cocktail list interesting and yummy.

My agent has just told me today that her agency is now recognised in the Fan Club category for Mandarin Oriental around the world. This means extra low rates, better than you ever see on the net, breakfast always included plus other great Hotel extras in the package. I am going to have to consider them for this reason alone. I also enjoyed dining at Heston's and thought my husband (coaching chef in NSW Tafe system) would enjoy his place and I think we would both really enjoy Daniel's Boulud Bar as well. I do want a Hotel that has a good Bar menu for that night we don't feel like dressing up to go out? I like to know what I am getting before I get there when I am paying so much!

Any thoughts on 45 Park Lane the Dorchester and 51 Buckingham Gate Taj Suites? My agent also loves for something more affordable the Firmdale property The Knightsbridge and I like this area too?

So much to choose from!

Appreciate the great reply.

Lozzie64

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
19. Re: Best Hotel Buffet breakfast in London if there is one?

What a wonderful position held by your husband. Being able to influence the great chefs of the future is such an influential and important role - especially in a country like Australia, where we have the raw talent and produce to work with. If he's worked with the system at places like East Sydney and Ryde, he's already had a hand in the futures of brilliant chefs!

The offer from your agent for the Mandarin Oriental sounds very attractive, and may very well be worth considering, particularly if its a noticeable difference to regular rates you see advertised. I hope my mention about the Mandarin Oriental came across as 'neutral', as I have industry affiliations with them. I don't wish to influence your decision about that particular property, which is why I made comments at the very end and focussed primarily on the Four Seasons and InterCon Park Lane.

I really like 45 Park Lane, it is really different from the 'traditional' London set of acclaimed hotels, a luxury 'lifestyle' property - if there were such a thing - and unique ambience. It's a little like comparing the Park Hyatt Sydney to the InterCon Sydney. Vastly contrasting styles.

Of the Marylebone Group, The Dorchester is my favourite. It's like a light airy version of Claridges - quite a contrast to their other properties like The Connaught (still very nice, but not in the same class), which I guess isn't a fair comparison. Like comparing milk chocolate to dark, they both have their own merit and distinct character. I found The Connaught beautiful but suffocating, and I stress that's purely my impression. My wife absolutely loved it - I think that was because of Afternoon Tea. Every time I go to The Dorchester, it feels like I'm stepping into a familiar place of warmth, with Claridges, it feels like I've walked into a stunning museum. It's very much a personal taste thing. I hope that makes some sense.

I haven't ever stayed at Taj 51, so unfortunately can't give you any feedback I'm afraid.

Reply to: Best Hotel Buffet breakfast in London if there is one?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted