We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How London Overground ticketing works

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
How London Overground ticketing works

I am preparing for my first trip to Europe later this week.

From what I have read online, I know what to expect as far as using the Underground with an Oyster card (scan it when going into the tube station and when leaving the destination station).

However, I am not sure how the Overground ticketing works - is it similar? I will be purchasing tickets to Windsor & Eton Riverside at Waterloo Station, combined with the discounted Windsor Castle ticket from South West Trains.

Since I am buying a special package deal, I am assuming that I will have to go to a staffed ticket window -- are there specific ticket windows for South West?

Once I have the train ticket, will I need to scan it or validate it with a timestamp anywhere before getting on my train?

London, United...
reviews: 14
1. Re: How London Overground ticketing works

London overground is the same as the tube, scan in and scan out.

There is a ticket office at Waterloo at the back of the concourse opposite the platforms, just join the queue and go to the next available window, not sure if you can get the combined ticket at a machine, but you can get the ticket the day before if you are near the station to save time on the day.

The ticket will be dated for the day you want to travel so no need to validate it. If buying in advance the date is in reverse print - basically white on a black background.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 1
2. Re: How London Overground ticketing works

nationalrail.co.uk/SME/…

networkrail.co.uk/london-waterloo-station/…

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
reviews: 73
3. Re: How London Overground ticketing works

When using Oyster, it's important to touch OUT at the end of your OYSTER journey. Windsor is not an Oyster station and has no Oyster machinery.

If your ticket to Windsor is a throughout ticket from the London terminal where you buy it (Waterloo), then, if you got there (Waterloo) using Oyster, as long as you touch out Waterloo when you finish using Oyster and before you board the Windsor train, all well and good.

However, if you were intending to travel with Oyster to the limit of the Oyster zone and then pay extra to reach Windsor, you'll have to alight the train at the last Oyster station (Feltham, if I recall correctly, but do check), touch out, and then get the next Windsor-bound service. And vice-versa (touch in) for your return trip.

Philadelphia...
4. Re: How London Overground ticketing works

We will be walking to Waterloo and starting our journey from there, and plan on purchasing a return ticket to Windsor Riverside.

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
5. Re: How London Overground ticketing works

No problem, then.

London, United...
reviews: 58
6. Re: How London Overground ticketing works

Just to reiterate, the London Overground is a separate train system that is shown in orange on tube maps. It does not include the trip to Windsor and, frankly, does not go to/from that many places a tourist is likely to go.

For Windsor, you can buy tickets from any ticket machine or staffed ticket window in Waterloo station (or indeed any national rail station).

Note that the service from Waterloo is a stopping service that takes a long time to get to Windsor. It is often faster to take a train from Paddington and change.

Philadelphia...
7. Re: How London Overground ticketing works

We will be heading there from Buckingham Palace, so it seemed like it would be quicker to take the train from Waterloo rather than taking the Underground to Paddington to transfer to Windsor.

London
Destination Expert
for London
8. Re: How London Overground ticketing works

so it seemed like it would be quicker to take the train from Waterloo

====================================================

Not necessarily - end to end times probably won't be that different. The Paddington train is faster (even with a change) and the station is nearer the castle, the Waterloo train is slower (and I think less frequent) although there may be a small discount on Castle tickets on the SWT service. (which is a bit of a clue....)

London, United...
reviews: 58
9. Re: How London Overground ticketing works

The Waterloo train takes 53 minutes whereas the Paddington train can take as little as 26 mintues if you're lucky with the connections but will always be less than 40 minutes. The walk from Buckingham Palace to Waterloo will take you about half an hour, so it's probably faster to head up to Paddington.

Edited: 9:14 am, April 22, 2013
Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
10. Re: How London Overground ticketing works

But SWT do have that combined train fare + admission deal that represents something of a cost saving. And it's not really FAR from Riverside to the town and castle. And there isn't any "worry" (if ever there was) about changing trains at the right place....... Oh, I dunno!