We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discover Card

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Discover Card

How widely accepted is the Discover Card? Their website says its accepted in the United Kingdom, but I'm curious if it really is widely used. I have a pin attached to the card in case that comes up as an issue. I am bringing my Visa/MasterCard as well.

25 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
11. Re: Discover Card

They had a special deal last year when I was in London but I never went to any places that accepted it. (I think it was no fees AND a bigger cashback so would have been good) I think that was their first year in the UK.

oh here we are:

https:/…europe.html

Look for Diners Club sticker. Also some more details that I didn't absorb.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 110
12. Re: Discover Card

I think if you look for the Diners Club sticker...you'll need to pay with Diners Club. One of the restaurants is Wagamama, a chain that is in the UK and the US.

Here's what their UK site says about accepting payment:

"Payment for all products must be by credit or debit card. We accept payment with Mastercard, Visa, Maestro, American Express, JCB and Diners Club. We will not charge your credit or debit card until we despatch your order."

Nope...don't see Discover Card there....

Sammamish...
reviews: 1
13. Re: Discover Card

The information I got from Discover differs from the previous reply. First, Diners Club is owned by Discover Financial Services (acquired in 2008 according to the wikipedia article I read). Discover reps referred me to the Diner's Club logo on the back of my Discover card and assured me that I could use my Discover card at any retail establishment displaying the Diner's Club logo as accepted. Also at streamline.com/show/… there is an article regarding an alliance between Discover and WorldPay / Streamline such that you can apparently also use Discover anywhere that accepts Streamline. My wife and I are particularly interested in using Discover to avoid Foreign Transaction fees on each use; Discover is one of the few cards, along with a very small number of VISAs and MC that does not charge those fees. I also have two AMEX cards, and when I asked an AMEX rep, they told me that they do charge foreign transaction fees.

Lanzarote, Spain
Destination Expert
for York
reviews: 28
14. Re: Discover Card

I've no idea what streamline is? Worldpay is a credit card processing company but not sure how you know who uses them?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
15. Re: Discover Card

>>assured me that I could use my Discover card at any retail establishment displaying the Diner's Club logo as accepted<<

The trouble is that you will not find all that many establishments that accept Diners' cards, because of the high merchant fees.

London, United...
reviews: 47
16. Re: Discover Card

@13, good luck with that. I agree with post 14 that Worldpay (and Streamline) are credit card processing companies. They make the equiment that scans credit cards. It is up to a merchant and their bank which credit cards to accept. In the UK, Diner's Club is not widely accepted. In theory, those outlets that accept Diner's Club will accept Discover Card, but the staff may not be aware of that and may not want to bother.

As said upthread, the Diner's Club website lists merchants as accepting their card that have been bankrupt since the start of the financial crisis (or before), so I wouldn't take that list as necessarily being up to date.

American Express is also not accepted as widely in the UK as other cards. I have an AmEx because I get good affinity rewards with it, but there are plenty of places that won't take it. If you are relying on Discover + AmEx in the UK, make sure you have plenty of cash for when merchants will not accept either one.

London, United...
reviews: 10
17. Re: Discover Card

Maybe we can flip the question and ask if anyone had ever successfully used a Discover card here? In my years of taking payments at work I've never actually seen one - or a travelers cheque for that matter.

As for Amex, more places are starting to accept them including mine because the other card issuers are raising their charges to pretty much the same level as Amex now.

But if that be poster is thinking of using just Discover and Amex then as stated they will need a plan b especially with smaller retailers.

Pittsburgh, PA
reviews: 4
18. Re: Discover Card

This is the one credit card I leave at home when I go to the UK. As other have said, I've never seen a place that accepted it and secondly, if, god forbid I had my credit cards stolen, it's nice to know I have a functional card at home for when I get home. It can take a few days to get replacement cards in a situation where they have been compromised - this way I still have an active card that I can use at home.

Atlanta, Georgia
19. Re: Discover Card

It's me again!

Discover had a bigger publicity push this year, and sent me a brochure with various special offer vouchers. Wagamama's was again listed as accepting their card.

The only place I ended up using it was at a Pret a Manger where I used the voucher for a free hot drink with any purchase. So that didn't help my cashback bonus much but I did save the price of the coffee.

The staff didn't seem at alarmed at the sight of it but when you work in a Pret in Wardour St you probably don't get alarmed too easily.

Liverpool, United...
reviews: 19
20. Re: Discover Card

It's started to be accepted in shops now as I've seen it on the stickers displaying the visa and MasterCard logos.

Reply to: Discover Card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted