We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discover Card

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Discover Card

How widely accepted is the Discover Card? Their website says its accepted in the United Kingdom, but I'm curious if it really is widely used. I have a pin attached to the card in case that comes up as an issue. I am bringing my Visa/MasterCard as well.

32 replies to this topic
Dunfermline, United...
reviews: 39
1. Re: Discover Card

I don't think Discover card is accepted anywhere in the UK.

UK
reviews: 89
2. Re: Discover Card

How widely accepted is the Discover Card?

========

To the nearest decimal point*, as Dicanio says, no one accepts it.

*(No doubt there is one shop in London somewhere that takes it just so they can say "accepted in London"..)

Edited: 1:34 pm, April 10, 2013
Plymouth
reviews: 28
3. Re: Discover Card

Never heard of it

San Diego...
4. Re: Discover Card

Wow! I am so glad I asked! I was thinking it was a little too convenient for them to say how widely accepted it is. I should call them and ask specifically where and if they give me 1 shop that does accept it, then there's my answer :)

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 127
5. Re: Discover Card

I have *never* seen a store where it was accepted. Visa and mastercard are accepted, and sometimes American Express (though mostly at hotels).

Leave the Discover at home.

UK
reviews: 89
6. Re: Discover Card

According to their website, https:/…international-use.html. here is where it's accepted in Europe

Germany

Ireland

Macedonia

Montenegro

Serbia

You will notice a distinct lack of "UK" in that list.

Now it does sort of indicate that its accepted where the Diners Club card is, if that's correct then maybe its accepted in as many as 1 in 20 places in major cities. Don't bother bringing it.

Dunfermline, United...
reviews: 39
7. Re: Discover Card

Let us know if you do speak to them, I think we'd all like to know who accepts it in the UK :-)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
reviews: 58
8. Re: Discover Card

I have read that it's accepted by retailers who accept Diners Club, but even that is effectively a dead brand here.

London, United...
reviews: 62
9. Re: Discover Card

The Discover Card website does list the UK as somewhere Discover is accepted (https:/…europe.html). It looks like you can use a Discover Card to get cash at any LINK ATM (pretty much all UK ATMs are part of the LINK network), but that would involve paying whatever cash advance fees and interest rates are applicable.

The Diners Club website indicates a much wider acceptance than I would have expected (dinersclub.co.uk/merchants/diners-club-card-…) but the list seems out of date to me, including stores like Dickins and Jones (disappeared in 2006/7), Army & Navy (2005) and Ottakars (2006).

UK
reviews: 196
10. Re: Discover Card

I haven't heard of it either myself, I do see diners club or American Express but not many if any Discovery on my travels.

Reply to: Discover Card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted