We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rochester castle and hever in one day by train from london?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana, lafayette
reviews: 8
Rochester castle and hever in one day by train from london?

This is my first post but I have been reading for months!

Hubby and I are celebrating our 10 year wedding ann. We will be staying at the caring hotel for 5 nights then the new england for 2 nites.

I have been unable to locate the admission times for the rochester castle and wonder if we will be able to easily go see both castles in one day. By train or by bus? Can we use an oyster card on the train?

thank you so much in advance!!!

We will be in london May 29th...so excited!!!!

Have tickets to see Mary Poppins...( we are kids at heart! lol)

hope to go to bath for the music festival and the roman baths...

bizi1

Guildford, United...
reviews: 50
1. Re: Rochester castle and hever in one day by train from london?

It won't be easy as Hever has no public transport - their web site suggests taking a taxi from Edenbridge Town or walking (1 mile) from Hever. Getting to either from Rochester would really mean going back in to London.

Rochester Castle is owned by English Heritage

www.english-heritage.org.uk

It would be much simpler to look at more things around Rochester/Chatham such as the historic dockyard.

If you have travelcard loaded on to Oyster then you can use it on the train for the zones it is valid for. You need to go to the ticket office at the station and ask for a return to your destination from the edge of Zone x. Rochester is well outside the travelcard zones.

London, UK
reviews: 7
2. Re: Rochester castle and hever in one day by train from london?

Rochester is easy to get to from London - direct train from Victoria, Charing Cross or Cannon Street. Make sure you check the date & time before you travel as some of these services run during commuter hours.

Allow between 45 to 60 minutes for the journey.

Use the National Rail online journey planner to check date & times:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/index.html

The castle is about a half mile away from Rochester station. There will be local buses to take you there. But it seem to be a short walk along local streets towards the river - it'll be signposted, as will the buses by the station. Rochester is quite a nice town to stroll around.

Rochester Castle is managed by Medway Council.

english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/ConPrope…

medway.gov.uk/index/leisure/castles/2493.html

theheritagetrail.co.uk/castles/…20castle.htm

Hever Castle

http://www.hever-castle.co.uk/

www.hever-castle.co.uk/yourvisit/default.asp

How to get to Hever Castle

www.hever-castle.co.uk/yourvisit/default.asp…

Bit of a challenge to do Rochester & Hever unless you have a car to do the40 mile-ish cross Kent jaunt.

I've taken a look at some associated sites.

Here's what I reckon you could do.

Edenbridge Town is the local station suggested on the HC site.

If you use the National Rail journey planner (URL above) you will be offered a range of short hop rail journeys to allow you to go Rochester to Edenbridge Town.

The easiest & marginally quickest is Rochester - London Bridge-Edenbridge Town (approx 2 hours) & then a short taxi ride to Hever (see Hever web site) OR continue on the train to Hever & walk the local mile (Hever site).

The R-LB-ET/Hever offers the greatest flexibility in terms of timetabling as trains pass through LB frequently.

Additionally LB station has WH Smith, Costa, sandwich bars AND loos, so you can while away any waiting time in reasonable comfort. Any of the other journey options had you hanging around for infrequent services in country stations or making very quick platform changes.

The Hever site suggests 4 1/2 hours for your visit. So it's up to you whether you do Hever in the morning & spend early afternoon travelling to Rochester or vice versa.

Whatever way you arrange it, it'll be a splendid day out.

Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
reviews: 22
3. Re: Rochester castle and hever in one day by train from london?

bizi

If you are in Bath in the morning I would highly recommend one of the FREE guided walks provided by the city. See link below:-

http://www.thecityofbath.co.uk/mayor's_guides.htm

Extremely informative and takes you to all the sights. Haven't been on a bus tour of Bath to compare, but certainly much better than any of the bus tours I have been on.

Louisiana, lafayette
4. Re: Rochester castle and hever in one day by train from london?

I thank you very much for your replies!

I am wondering if perhaps we should not try to do both in one day?

I am attracted to rochester ....have heard that it is a wonderful castle to be able to explore freely....sounds wonderful.

hever castle opens at noon-6pm....I will look at the links to see if we could possibly do the rochester in the morning.

thank you all again.

I will post some kind of report once we return.

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 16
5. Re: Rochester castle and hever in one day by train from london?

Bizi - just quickly, the best trains to get for Rochester are the fast trains (final destination: Ramsgate & Dover Priory) from Victoria. Don't worry about any of the announcements about the train dividing at Faversham, Faversham is after Rochester so you can sit where you like! The fast trains only stop once (at Bromley South) before Rochester and take 45 minutes. The trains are mostly at .03 and .33 minutes past the hour from Victoria on weekdays until the evening - but do check as the odd train randomly doesn't stop at Rochester (never quite worked out which ones or why!).

Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
6. Re: Rochester castle and hever in one day by train from london?

It would certainly be a hell of a long day to do Rochester and Hever with lots of waiting around changing trains etc. Perhaps more do-able would be Rochester and Leeds Castle (not in Leeds as the name would suggest but a little further out in Kent). Would mean a 25 min cab ride in between as they are on different train lines.

http://www.leeds-castle.com/

Another alternative would be to hop back on the train at Rochester and continue 45 mins down the line to the Cathederal Town of Canterbury. The Cathederal is lovely, as is the town itself.

www.canterbury.co.uk/cgi-bin/buildpage.pl…

Hope this doesn't end up confusing you by giving you too many options.

Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
7. Re: Rochester castle and hever in one day by train from london?

.......... or should that be Cathederal City?

Louisiana, lafayette
8. Re: Rochester castle and hever in one day by train from london?

thank you for the walking tour idea in bath...looks great!

I am thinking that since we are only going to have a limited time frame and don't want to waste a lot of time traveling from place to place that the rochester castle is the most logical choice for our tastes. And we want to spend time exploring and not have to be so rushed.

getting excited here!!!!

oh question about the oyster card.

I thought we could load up money on it then use it on any public transportation system.

Am confused..

bizi1

Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
9. Re: Rochester castle and hever in one day by train from london?

From the tfl website

Oyster cards with Travelcards are valid on Tube, DLR, tram and National Rail services within your chosen zones and across the entire London bus network.

Oyster cards with Bus Passes are valid across the entire London bus network and on trams.

You can also use Oyster to pay as you go on Tube, bus, DLR, tram, and some National Rail services

Basically, any travel within London Travel Card Zones other than trains, although you can use them in some of the central london train stations. They have announced that Oyster readers will be installed in all London train stations, but that won't be complete until 2008.

The tfl website is http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/ and has maps of the travelcard zones and other useful info.

For travel outside of london you will have to buy separate tickets I'm afraid.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
reviews: 48
10. Re: Rochester castle and hever in one day by train from london?

Just to say that Rochester Castle is fairly small as castles go, and is a shell (although you can walk all the way around). It doesn't really have stuff inside like Hever or Leeds Castle do. But don't be put off by that. It's still nice to go around, and it's right next door to the cathedral. You may also be able to go for a boat trip on the River Medway. So yes, Rochester makes for a pleasant day out.

On your way back to London, you could always stop off at Dartford (trains go from Rochester to Dartford; it's on the same London line) and get the bus to Bluewater Shopping Centre, one of the largest shopping centres/malls in the UK. Its design is supposed to be reminiscent of the Kent Hop Farms and Oast Houses.

www.bluewater.co.uk

Hope you have a fabulous 10th Wedding Anniversary