We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Revised Itinerary and Advice Needed

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
reviews: 1
Revised Itinerary and Advice Needed

I posted a first attempt at an itinerary for our 10 night August trip a few weeks. I have made some revisions based on the feedback I got so I want to post it again. I tried to alternate sightseeing days in London with day trips outside the city. We are both lifelong Beatles fans and enjoy the theater and unique dining experiences (I still have a lot of research to do on restaurants). We also don't like having every second scheduled out and like to have some flexibility.

I also wanted to ask some advise on hotel location (budget approx £130/night) and what would be the best way to pay for travel (Oyster, Travel Card, Rail) based on this itinerary. Thanks in advance for your help.

Day 1 (Wed) - Arrive overnight flight, Explore hotel neighborhood, Shopping trip (Harrods, Oxford Street), Afternoon Tea, Theater

Day 2 (Thurs) - Half day London Double Decker Bus sightseeing tour to get familiar with city. Afternoon at Stonehenge.

Day 3 (Fri) - Lunch in The Cotswolds tour and Stratford

Day 4 (Sat) - London Walks Portobello Market/Notting Hill, British Museum (possibly with London Walks or on our own), Sat night Pub Walk.

Day 5 (Sun) - Windsor Castle on our own by train, London Walks Jack The Ripper

Day 6 (Mon) - Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace State Rooms and Gardens tour, London Walks Old Westminster by Gaslight

Day 7 (Tues) - Train to Liverpool on our own, tour with Fab 4 tours or Pool of Life Tours, Matthew St, Cavern, Albert Dock

Day 8 (Wed) Tower of London, London Walks Beatles Magical Mystery tour

Day 9 (Thurs) Paris Day trip

Day 10 (Fri) Leeds/Dover/Canterbury day trip

Day 11 (Sat) Fy home ago

Edited: 7:30 pm, February 16, 2013
Solihull
reviews: 8
11. Re: Revised Itinerary and Advice Needed

Stonehenge is 80 miles from central London. It is going to take a coach at least 2 hours to get there and 2 hours to get back.

You will be lucky if you spend 1 hour at Stonehenge (it is in the middle of nowhere).

Do you really want to spend 4 hours on a coach to visit a place for one hour?

There are loads of interesting things to see in London that will not involve spending 4 hours in a coach.

For example a walk round the inside of St Pauls cathedral is probably more dramatic than walking round the stones of Stonehenge (you are not allowed to go near the stones anyway).

If you were combining Stonehenge with a visit to Bath or Salisbury (or both) then the trip may be worth it, but not just to see Stonehenge.

I suggest dropping it.

Solihull
12. Re: Revised Itinerary and Advice Needed

Move the Paris day trip nearer the start of your holiday.

It would be awful to go to Paris near the end of your holiday, then find somebody or other goes on strike (it has been known - train drivers, customs staff etc) and you get stuck there and miss your flight home.

With the Paris trip earlier there is less chance of being stuck over there.

Solihull
13. Re: Revised Itinerary and Advice Needed

Note a new station has been added to the London underground tube map, and it is called Abbey Road.

Note this is NOT the Abbey Road made famous by the Beatles album, so dont go to that train station expecting to see the famous zebra crossing.

Essex
reviews: 71
14. Re: Revised Itinerary and Advice Needed

Gulbert is incorrect.

You can have access to the centre of the stone circle at Stonehenge, but you hace to book in advance, and time it right!

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

Leicester, United...
reviews: 160
15. Re: Revised Itinerary and Advice Needed

If you are in Victoria for lunch on day 2 I can recommend St. George's Tavern

14 Belgrave Road, London SW1V 1QD

which is right at the back of Victoria train station so very close to the coach station.

I ate there last week, best pub meal I've had probably anywhere.

Solihull
16. Re: Revised Itinerary and Advice Needed

>>>Gulbert is incorrect.

No I am not, poster said of the trip to Stonehenge.

>>>Day 2 is a combination tour that is offered through Premium tours.

which will not include access to the stones.

NJ
reviews: 1
17. Re: Revised Itinerary and Advice Needed

I got to see Stonehenge on my last trip but my sister hasn't seen it. Another option we were considering was the train to Salisbury and transportation to the stones from there - I am just not sure when we would be able to do that.

I saw Bath on my last trip and my sister didn't really want to see it but I am considering telling her that it would be a good thing to combine it with Stonehenge since most of the tours work that way. The sunset Stonehenge tour where you have access to the stones is interesting. I think International Friends has a tour where you spend more time in Bath and then go to Stonehenge at sunset.

I also thought about any problems that might arise being in Paris so close to the end of our trip. I am thinking that if we do a day trip we are more likely to not have a problem. Or would there be a possibility of a strike being called mid-day? I would think that if there was the possibility of a strike the trip would not run.

Thank you for the pub recommendation in Victoria!

Edited: 6:12 pm, February 17, 2013
18. Re: Revised Itinerary and Advice Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 19, 2014