We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hop-scotching from London to outlying areas--transportation?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
reviews: 1
hop-scotching from London to outlying areas--transportation?

My husband and I will be visiting the Uk in early October. We will fly into Heathrow and plan to visit the following cities, after one night in London: Birmingham, Northampton, Guildford, and Ipswich and then return to London for a few days.

We plan to use the train.

1) Any suggestions as to a website to help plan the train journeys---I have googled and am confused as to which one to use?

2) Would a Brit Rail Pass be a good idea? I am thinking not, since I need to make 5 trips in a short time--though not consecutively, so we would have to opt for the more expensive flex pass.

Thanks for any help

Birmingham
reviews: 48
11. Re: hop-scotching from London to outlying areas--transportation?

Chiltern Railways does cheep trains between London and Birmingham but they do take longer then Virgin Trains.

London, United...
reviews: 21
12. Re: hop-scotching from London to outlying areas--transportation?

Strangely it is much more user friendly to use the German railway website to plan your route, it often has shorter connection times or routings that the English sites do not show. The site is WWW.bahn.de and select the English language option.

13. Re: hop-scotching from London to outlying areas--transportation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 19, 2014