We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

European Destinations travel agency- yea or nay?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san diego
reviews: 5
European Destinations travel agency- yea or nay?

Hi all,

Planning a trip through their website and not sure if they are any good or reliable. Anyone ever use this agency? Also, they offer US Airways as the airline. I haven't heard good things about this airline. What do you think? I'd appreciate any and all feedback..

21 replies to this topic
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 126
1. Re: European Destinations travel agency- yea or nay?

Most people on this website don't use a travel agency, but book all the travel themselves.

If you are looking at their website for travel to London and Paris combined, for heaven's sake, do *not* do what they recommend and fly between cities. What a waste of time and money!

Take the Eurostar between London and Paris--city center to city center in under 3 hours.

You can find hotels by giving us details of your dates, party size, and budget.

You can read trip reports here, or browse through a guidebook, and put together a draft itinerary for sightseeing. Post it here, and we'll let you know if you missed anything, can save money, or are being terribly ambitious with your time.

You'll get a vacation planned by you, for you, that will probably cost less than using an agent.

South Australia
reviews: 12
2. Re: European Destinations travel agency- yea or nay?

Check air fares www.momondo.com www.skyscanner.com

Airline passenger comments www.airlinequality.com

European train information www.seat61.com

UK Train info www.nationalrail.co.uk

Low cost airline flights into europe, when booked early www.easyjet.com www.airberlin.com www.vueling.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
3. Re: European Destinations travel agency- yea or nay?

US are a decent enough airline (domestic service is bare bones [no IFE of any kind, one drinks run and buy on board food]), but if you want to avoid the change in PHL or CLT then fly with BA from SAN. Alternately, if you're willing to travel to Los Angeles, look to flights from LAX with Air New Zealand or Virgin Atlantic (of the two I'd choose NZ) along with BA.

Consider as well breaking the trip in New York. Look to fly from JFK to a European destination with Icelandair, a very good small airline. Changing planes at KEF is easy, and you might like the opportunity to break the journey.

Flights from London to / from Paris make sense only if one arrives at one of those airports and will make their way immediately to the other city. Eurostar is much more sensible if you want to travel from city centre to centre. You may book well in advance at www.eurostar.com

Low cost carriers are not necessarily cheaper than other airlines for intra-European flights. The LCCs may have a number of optional (or not) fees which add to the cost of a low base fare, so make a dummy booking including all extras before agreeing to buy a LCC ticket. Keep in mind that most LCCs are very strict in terms of size and weight of baggage. If the website indicates one piece of hand luggage then staff will not allow one piece and a personal item.

If you would like to recreate a tour or use that as a foundation for your visit you can do so. Let us know more about your travel dates, how many adults and children will travel, your budget (use www.xe.com for exchange rates) in £ or € and a bit about what you would like to see and do.

san diego
4. Re: European Destinations travel agency- yea or nay?

Thanks for all of your prompt replies. Here is the info that Europeandestinations.com is quoting for 2 adults:

RT from San Diego - London

4 nites Best Western Burns

Eurostar to Paris

4 nites Champlain Hotel

Aer Lingus to Dublin

3 nights at Aspect Hotel Park West

$3782 for all of the above.

I have priced out individual hotels in all of these cities and airlines and trains and I couldn't get close to this price for 2 people. I know the hotels are not 4 or 5 stars but as long as they are clean and not in a bad area, we can use the metro, tube and buses to get around.

What do you think? Too good to be true?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 126
5. Re: European Destinations travel agency- yea or nay?

What time of year?

san diego
6. Re: European Destinations travel agency- yea or nay?

April 28- May 13

Philadelphia...
reviews: 16
7. Re: European Destinations travel agency- yea or nay?

We have used this travel agency for a trip in ?2008 to Florence and Venice and you have the option of choosing a better quality of hotel if you should prefer. We had no problems .

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
8. Re: European Destinations travel agency- yea or nay?

The BW Burns is decent if not exciting. The rooms were clean, WiFi was fussy when I stayed, staff were helpful but not overly so. The location is very good, less than five minutes' walk from Earl's Court station, handy for the District and Piccadilly lines, with the latter providing step free access from start to finish for the journey to King's Cross / St Pancras and Eurostar.

The Hotel Champlain, if it's the one located on Rue de Rome, looks all right, but it faces the railway lines for trains to and from the Gare St Lazare. The reviews don't indicate that's a considerable problem so it might not be for you. I'd prefer a hotel a bit more central, but that's just me.

Aer Lingus is a good airline, certainly acceptable for a flight from Paris to Dublin. The Aspect Hotel Park West gets mixed reviews at www.booking.com and again you might want to pay a bit more for a more central location.

Flights for your dates show at about $US1150 per person; Eurostar fares for your approximate dates of travel aren't at their cheapest. If the price of $US3782 includes all taxes and fees it's not a bad bargain for two travelling. If it suits your needs it may be worth booking.

If European Destinations want you to add the cost of local transport, say no thank you. One day Travelcards in London are good value at £7.30 per person; you may (with a very little effort) buy them at a rail station (we'll tell you how) and save ££ by using the offers shown at www.daysoutguide.co.uk

Carnets of tickets are sold for the Paris Metro, but you may also buy Mobilis, a one day pass good for use on the Metro, buses and RER. As in London it's sold by zones travelled; a two zone Mobilis covers a lot of Paris and costs just 6.60€.

san diego
9. Re: European Destinations travel agency- yea or nay?

thank you so much for your good advice. they do have the options for transfers but like you suggested, buying the cards in each city would be less costly. again, thanks so my h for your help.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 12
10. Re: European Destinations travel agency- yea or nay?

We used Europeandestinations for our first whirlwind Europe trip, and had no problems with them. Sometimes, you're able to book for as cheap (if not cheaper) on your own, but their packaged deals often help you save some money.

Reply to: European Destinations travel agency- yea or nay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted