We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip without the tourists, crowds?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 71
Day Trip without the tourists, crowds?

We have a few days during our 1st trip to England unaccounted for. I have read all the wonderful suggestions for day trips, and have planned Stonehenge (Salisbury) and Windsor. We are looking to get out of town, and enjoy a day looking around, dining with the locals, etc., off the "beaten path", if you will. Considered Canterbury, Dover, as well as the Cotswolds (which I feel we need more time then a day for). Every area is stunning, however, appears crowded with folks like us! Does any one have any suggestions? We will be traveling October 15-28. Thank you in advance!

London
reviews: 30
21. Re: Day Trip without the tourists, crowds?

This link from TimeOut is a couple of years old, but gives some good suggestions for some interesting day trips.

Henley on Thames is a nice (but small) town on the Thames, maybe better enjoyed if the weather is fine. timeout.com/london/aroundtown/features/10334…

Detroit, Michigan
22. Re: Day Trip without the tourists, crowds?

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! Though I have just begun to look, my husband was thrilled with the Greenwich via Thames, and I'm leaning toward Sussex/Lewes/Rue. With the few extra days we have, we should be able to see quite a bit!

london
reviews: 1
23. Re: Day Trip without the tourists, crowds?

How about Oxford which is not a long journey by train.

Bristol is a great city although I think the train is about 1h45m each way which might be a bit much (plus the train fares will be expensive unless you book a better deal in advance).

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 1
24. Re: Day Trip without the tourists, crowds?

Some previous posts:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c174500/Londo…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k51280…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k46875…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k46637…

Oklahoma City...
reviews: 3
25. Re: Day Trip without the tourists, crowds?

If you have a few days I would suggest East Anglia which would include Suffolk, mentioned by others here, and Norfolk, which includes Sandringham mentioned by pinkdaily. You could take the train to Norwich, a lovely cathedral city with much to do, and rent a car for the rest of the trip.

You won't see a lot of American tourists there and we have found the driving there to be relatively easy,primarily because the area is less crowded and less traffic means less driving stress.

We also like Dorset and the Jurassic coast, also recommended above.

Wherever you go I would suggest looking into the option of renting a cottage for a few days. There are thousands of choices in every price range and we find a cottage makes us feel more a part of the community than staying in a hotel. A few nights in a thatched cottage may be your dream of a English holiday.

For our coming trip in Oct. we will stay in cottages in Lavenham, Suffolk, Steyning, Sussex, and Easton, Dorset.

Websites for 2 of the cottages are below.

nationaltrustcottages.co.uk/cottage/…

www.blaizecottages.com/pages/wool%20cottage

Oklahoma City...
reviews: 3
26. Re: Day Trip without the tourists, crowds?

If you are specifically looking to stay in London and take day trips I would second St. Albans,, a fascinating and beautiful town north of London.

Unlike Windsor or Canterbury, both on any top list for day trips, you will not be surrounded by American tourists.

St. Albans was a major Roman city called Verulanium and has a wonderful museum about Roman Verulanium. There is a cathedral built mostly of Roman bricks with mcu to see inside. Historically St. Albans was of strategic importance because of its proximity to London, two battles in the Wars of the Roses were fought there.

You can explore with a walk.

stalbanstourguides.co.uk/guided/…

There are also many fine restaurants and pubs where you won't be surrounds by your fellow tourists.

Southampton
reviews: 24
27. Re: Day Trip without the tourists, crowds?

You could visit the New Forest if you like the outdoors and/or animals.

http://www.thenewforest.co.uk/

You can get there by train from Waterloo to Brockenhurst (takes 1.5 hours) and hire bicycles at the station. Closer than Dorset but in the same direction (and same train).

UK
reviews: 193
28. Re: Day Trip without the tourists, crowds?

Hi,

For Sandringham you can in fact get there by public transport just take the train from Kings Cross to Kings Lynn, which by the way isn't very touristy and has a nice little exhibition & cafe facing onto the river around the harbour area. On which note, you may want to consider looking at Bradwells literally facing onto that harbour area it is rated I think no.3 for places to Eat in Kings Lynn.

Going back to Sandringham there's a bus at least once an hour I believe number 11 from Kings Lynn Bus Station stand 5 and by the way they say if you show your bus ticket they'll give you a discount on entry.

Detroit, Michigan
29. Re: Day Trip without the tourists, crowds?

Thank you all again, very much!

Panama City, Panama
reviews: 28
30. Re: Day Trip without the tourists, crowds?

I went to Windsdor to visit the castle, the city and i enjoyed it and if you have luck you can see the change of guard there, i advise you to spend some time in this village.

Edited: 6:09 pm, September 16, 2012