We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to London for Thanksgiving 2012

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southern California
reviews: 3
Traveling to London for Thanksgiving 2012

Again, my Husband and I will be traveling to London for the Thanksgiving holidays. We need to know where we can go to a semi-traditional meal for a good price! Any Suggestions?

46 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 15
1. Re: Traveling to London for Thanksgiving 2012

Although BBC Good Food magazine and other foodie publications will have released their December issues in early November, all focus on turkey, goose, duck and other large festive meals will be aimed at the end of December.

Are you willing to have a roast dinner, including mashed potatoes and three veg, in lieu of turkey?

London
reviews: 267
2. Re: Traveling to London for Thanksgiving 2012

As you will presumably know, the British do not celebrate Thanksgiving, so I think that finding a Thanksgiving meal will be difficult, unless you can find restaurants that put on such an event for the benefit of the American expatriate community here. Texas Embassy had one last year, and may do so again this year. It might be worth contacting them to ask (http://www.texasembassy.com). You could try just Googling something like "Thanksgiving dinner restaurant London", as I did just now. There are some useful results, but for last year, e.g. timeout.com/london/feature/1767/thanksgiving… However, if you contact these restaurants you may find that they are doing this again this year. But as I said, Thanksgiving really does mean almost nothing at all to the British, so we just don't mark it in any way. It's not like Halloween, which you can celebrate in the UK just as well as you can celebrate it in the USA. Thanksgiving has not caught on here, and I suspect never will. I should think that a nice thing would be to find some Americans with whom you could celebrate it. I know that American friends of mine who live in London always somehow manage to find Americans who will gladly take them in to celebrate the holiday, even if they do not know each other.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 23
3. Re: Traveling to London for Thanksgiving 2012

Thanksgiving isn't celebrated by the English but between the expat community (one of the larger ones in London) and the American visitors, the restaurants and hotels that do a good thanksgiving dinner book up very fast.

If you don't know people in London who are making a Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimming, you will need to get your skates on to find and book a place at a restaurant or hotel.

York, United Kingdom
reviews: 68
4. Re: Traveling to London for Thanksgiving 2012

A few years ago I had Thanksgiving dinner with some American friends at Christopher's Grill, Wellington St, Covent Garden. I can't really say whether it was "semi-traditional" as I don't know what a traditional Thanksgiving dinner is supposed to be like. My friends certainly said it was not a full traditional Thanksgiving dinner, but they seemed to enjoy it.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
reviews: 156
5. Re: Traveling to London for Thanksgiving 2012

I always think we should have a UK version of Thanksgiving as we do have a lot to be grateful for (no sarcasm, please) and it could be a nice family occasion without all the stress involved with Christmas!

Kent, UK
reviews: 9
6. Re: Traveling to London for Thanksgiving 2012

Grateful to whom?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
7. Re: Traveling to London for Thanksgiving 2012

< I always think we should have a UK version of Thanksgiving as we do have a lot to be grateful for (no sarcasm, please) and it could be a nice family occasion without all the stress involved with Christmas! >

Thanksgiving is the US version of Christmas as regards family. The only difference is less presents & no Queen's Speech

uk
reviews: 6
8. Re: Traveling to London for Thanksgiving 2012

Exactly, Bungle73 (I love your avatar) I thought that we already showed our gratitude at the time of our Harvest Festival.

Kent, UK
reviews: 9
9. Re: Traveling to London for Thanksgiving 2012

>>Bungle73 (I love your avatar)<<

Thanks. Yours too. :)

reviews: 39
10. Re: Traveling to London for Thanksgiving 2012

5. Whilst I applaud your utopian dream world nonsense claptrap, what exactly would be the point of what you suggest?

Reply to: Traveling to London for Thanksgiving 2012
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted