We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paddington to London Bridge - Taxi or bus??

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
reviews: 13
Paddington to London Bridge - Taxi or bus??

Hi

My daughter & friend are travelling to Gatwick Airport & the train she has booked arrives in Paddington at 00.15am. She needs to transfer to London Bridge Station to get a connection to Gatwick. Could you tell me how much a taxi will cost approximately or if there is a bus service at that time in the morning that they can use?

She is concerned about travelling across London at that time of night & with the present situation.

Any advice would be appreciated

Many thanks

Jane

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 27
1. Re: Paddington to London Bridge - Taxi or bus??

The last tube departs Paddington at 00.22 and gets to London Bridge at 00.41 with an easy change across the platform from Bakerloo to Jubilee line at Baker Street. The bus journey would involve at least one change so a taxi which would cost around £20-£23 will be the most sensible option should they miss the tube.

I am assuming they are travelling midweek.

Edited: 5:18 pm, August 09, 2011
dublin
2. Re: Paddington to London Bridge - Taxi or bus??

If she wants to take the bus it runs 24/7.

Come straight out of the station and turn left onto Praed St. The 23 bus stop is twenty yards down There is a ticket machine at the stop. Take the 23, ask the driver to let you out at St. Paul's. At this stop change to the N21 to London Bridge.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 27
3. Re: Paddington to London Bridge - Taxi or bus??

The downside of the bus option is the poor frequency (one every 30 minutes after 00.30) and the fact that the journey would take well over 30 minutes and that's assuming you didn't have to wait long at St Paul's. Safer to take a cab I think.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
4. Re: Paddington to London Bridge - Taxi or bus??

"My daughter & friend are travelling to Gatwick Airport & the train she has booked arrives in Paddington at 00.15am. She needs to transfer to London Bridge Station to get a connection to Gatwick"

Is there a reason why she isn't going to Victoria for the train to Gatwick? As then you take the 36 or 436 bus there then Southern train to Gatwick. Or just take a taxi for the short ride - there's a train at 01:00 on weekdays

United Kingdom
reviews: 13
5. Re: Paddington to London Bridge - Taxi or bus??

Hi everyone

Many thanks for your replies. The ticket that they purchased on the internet didn't give them the option to go to Victoria. First Great Western omit to say on their website that they must make their own way over to London Bridge. I would have advised them to have taken an earlier train which stops at Reading and transferred from there, but teenagers know best!!!

I omitted to say that there journey is on Sunday arriving into Paddington at 00.15 Monday morning. Don't know if this affects times etc. Understandably she is concerned with regard to the present situation in London. For my own peace of mind I think I will give them the money for the taxi.

Thanks everyone for your information

Jane

Cotswolds
6. Re: Paddington to London Bridge - Taxi or bus??

It affects the tube - it will have closed by the time they arrive. The buses are little if any different though

But there isn't a train that arrives at Paddington at 0015 on Monday or any other morning - so unless you/they've rounded the time a few minutes it's a puzzle as to what train they are actually on

The direct line from Reading to Gatwick is closed this Sunday though so it would have been partly a bus had they chosen that way

Edited: 5:22 am, August 10, 2011
London
reviews: 34
7. Re: Paddington to London Bridge - Taxi or bus??

I'm also puzzled about what ticket(s) you daughter has bought.

Are you convinced they aren't valid from Victoria to Gatwick? If transferring from Paddington the Victoria option makes more sense.

Even if FGW have "suggested" a transfer for the second part of the journey from London Bridge, it may be that the second part of the ticket is valid from "London terminals" in which case it would be accepted from Victoria.

Presumably this is to catch some stupid-o-clock flight where check in is at 0400?

dublin
8. Re: Paddington to London Bridge - Taxi or bus??

jjsb. Isn't it amazing how the younger generation know it all.

Give her twenty pounds for a taxi, you'll feel more comfortable.

9. Re: Paddington to London Bridge - Taxi or bus??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, October 10, 2012