We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick to Kensington Olympia Question

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
reviews: 8
Gatwick to Kensington Olympia Question

Because of the availability of the frequent flier ticket I'm using to go to London in May, I have to arrive in London a day earlier than our timeshare accommodation starts - darn! :o)

So I bid for a hotel room for that extra night on Priceline and got the Hilton Olympia in Kensington (for $66). At first I was thinking I would take the Gatwick Express to Victoria, than the tube or a taxi to the hotel. But upon further investigation, it looks like I can take a Southern train from Gatwick right to the Kensington Olympia station.

I just want to make sure I'm reading the train schedules correctly - it seems to good to be true! Am I figuring this correctly?

Thanks,

Kay

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: Gatwick to Kensington Olympia Question

According to nationalrail.com, you're right. Some Southern trains go straight from LGW, and some require a change at Clapham Junction. Looks as if Virgin trains run a service with no change of trains as well, but it takes about 15 minutes more than Southern.

If you had to get the GEX, you could jump on a Circle line train towards High St Ken, and change to an Olympia train at Earl's Court or stay with the Circle and just alight at High St Ken and get a taxi to the Hilton.

When in May will you be in London?

Detroit, Michigan
2. Re: Gatwick to Kensington Olympia Question

I'll be arriving on May 19th (133 days and counting.) :o)

London
reviews: 36
3. Re: Gatwick to Kensington Olympia Question

If you just miss the direct train to Olympia and think about the indirect one via Clapham Junction, note its quite a trek changing trains at Clapham Junction as platforms for these trains are far apart.

Involves going up and down stairs which might be quite tedious if you have lots of luggage.

The Olympia spur of the District Underground line is quite an anomally in the underground system. It only runs about every 15-20 minutes and goes just two stops to connect to the core network.

Hove, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
reviews: 17
4. Re: Gatwick to Kensington Olympia Question

Kayb, yes, there are direct trains from Gatwick to Kensington Olympia. I can't give you exact times for May, as National Rail hold schedules only 3 months in advance, and we're on the Winter timetable right now (the Spring timetable may vary a little), but if you're arriving on a weekday, then direct trains currently leave Gatwick at 37 minutes past the hour (there is a little variation if you come in before 9am). Journey time is 35 mins. Otherwise, there is a train at 56 mins past the hour, but it involves a change at Clapham Junction, which is never fun. Once you're within 3 months of your arrival date, go to www.nationalrail.co.uk to get the exact timetable.

Detroit, Michigan
5. Re: Gatwick to Kensington Olympia Question

Thanks for the details. I'll avoid the change at Clapham Junction. Schlepping luggage up and down stairs is never fun. Thanks for the tip!! :o)

We probably won't be using the tube from Olympia. The #9 and #10 bus run right by the hotel, so we'll use that instead. And it's only for one night. We'll probably either walk or take a taxi from the Olympia to our timeshare just down the street (Allen Street, just off Kensington High) the next day.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 27
6. Re: Gatwick to Kensington Olympia Question

Kay,

Now I know why you like The Britannia (Timeshare in Allen Street)!

The train from Gatwick terminates at Watford Junction so if you fall asleep you can always visit us here in the wilds of Watford.

There was talk of the service being dropped but I think that is now on the back burner.

London, United...
7. Re: Gatwick to Kensington Olympia Question

Unless there's some sort of engineering works the rail timetables will be the same in May as they are now as they only ever change in June and December.. so looking at any other month on nationalrail.co.uk should give the correct time (ie 37 mins past the hour from Gatwick).

Detroit, Michigan
8. Re: Gatwick to Kensington Olympia Question

Yes, Adam... location has a lot to do with it. :o)