We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time to buy plane tickets for summer 2010

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
reviews: 55
best time to buy plane tickets for summer 2010

I wonder if it is the time now to buy my tickets for my next trip in London. I am confused because every day the rates change. It go up, then down and next day up again. Should I wait a little bit to have a good fare ? What are your experience ? Thank you for your kind advises.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: best time to buy plane tickets for summer 2010

If I knew with certainty where fares would go then I could retire and be a happy woman.

But truly, there isn't any way to know what's going to happen with fares in June and July. My first thought is to wait, as the airlines will not have the passenger numbers from the last quarter of 2009 for a few weeks yet; with those numbers and a good look at what loads were last year the airlines may decide to take pity on us a drop fares a bit. Or not.

Keep an eye on the AC and BA websites; AC offer reduced fares frequently and BA should post sale fares soon, but I'm not sure if they'll include summer dates. Things should be a bit more clear in four to six weeks if you can bear the wait.

Montreal, Canada
2. Re: best time to buy plane tickets for summer 2010

Thank you TP. Yes I can wait. I will keep an eye on different airlines. In the last 2 weeks the prices went up and down alot, some days the difference went up to 300$ from the day before and go down the next day. It is like a roller coaster.

milford, pa
reviews: 12
3. Re: best time to buy plane tickets for summer 2010

I am in the same boat about buying my summer ticket. Have you booked the hotel/flat? I am debating this issue too as I have already lost my favorite flat due to booking by someone else. I basically know the times of the flights I want and the dates I would like to be in London.

Montreal, Canada
4. Re: best time to buy plane tickets for summer 2010

Hello Ralphie,

I will be in London for 16 days (still flexible). 7 days with my husband and alone for the other part. I already reserve a B&B for the week with my husband and I am hesitate between 2 flats for the solo part. I will choose before the end of the week because I don't want to let go a good opportunity.

It is such a thrill planning a trip to London !! :-)

milford, pa
5. Re: best time to buy plane tickets for summer 2010

alberto,

It is truly a blast planning this trip, that is part of going! I am taking my 17 year old daughter as it is kind of last horrah for Mom and daughter before she is off to college. I have been to London 2 times before a LONG time ago. SO it looks like you have booked part of your trip, I guess I will too. I am having a tough time reckoning with myself with a great flat in Bayswater (Inverness Terrace area, near Whitleys) as it is not easy to get to and from Heathrow. What area are you looking in? Have you put your self on one of the fare alert sites?

Montreal, Canada
6. Re: best time to buy plane tickets for summer 2010

Ralphie,

It will be my fifth visit. I love London and I just can't had enough. We choose our BnB in Bloomsbury this time. And I am hesitate between a studio in Bloomsbury and another one in Belgravia near Sloane Sq. I give myself until the week-end to make up my mind.

I wish you a nice trip with your daughter.

milford, pa
7. Re: best time to buy plane tickets for summer 2010

AlbertoVO5,

Thanks.

When are you going? We are hoping to go July 30-Aug 8th.

Sounds like you have a plan!

Raleigh, N.C.
reviews: 2
8. Re: best time to buy plane tickets for summer 2010

We are also traveling with a 17 year old girl and a 15 year old. Since you have been twice before, can you recommend anything beyond the typical tourist attractions for teenage girls? We are in London for 5 days so I would really like to find some great ideas.

Tracy, California
reviews: 337
9. Re: best time to buy plane tickets for summer 2010

My advice is to watch the flights every day. when you think it is a good price buy them. Then, never, ever, look at the the site again (unless you have refundable tickets). Just enjoy the trip. Nothing can ruin a trip more than knowing the person across the aisle is flying for $15 less. Have a great trip.

For a 17 and 15 year old, I'd suggest letting them choose some places of their own. They will have ownership. One thing we found is that almost everything is exciting for kids that age, although they may not let you know it. The other is the Tower of London.

milford, pa
10. Re: best time to buy plane tickets for summer 2010

If you have a daughter into fashion like mine, I have read Victoria and Albert museum has some cool things for them, also shopping at Top Shop and maybe one of the markets. My daughter is also artistic and I thought that she might like to see some of the painters artwork that she has read about in her text books (Pollack, eg). I will be dragging her to some of my favorite things too, as she wants to go to Paris for the day. We will be lunching at Hard Rock and doing their museum.

Have fun!

Edited: 10:27 pm, January 20, 2010