We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How late are shops open?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
So Cal
reviews: 64
How late are shops open?

Hello all...How late can we count on Harrods and any other must-visit shops being open? I'd rather spend the daylight hours sight-seeing than shopping. Also, what about Waitrose, Tesco etc? (Planning on picking up dinner there some of the nights.) Everything's open till at least 9pm here, but I get the sense that's not the case in London.

Jakarta, Indonesia
reviews: 20
1. Re: How late are shops open?

Harrods, I believe, is open till 8pm except Sunday when it closes at 6.

Tesco etc varies acc to store. Waitrose is open till 9pm except for Sunday when it closes either at 5 or 6...

London
reviews: 2
2. Re: How late are shops open?

In Central London most shops will be open until 5.30 or 6 - some later. Thursday is late night opening when many shops stay open until 8. Large supermarkets are often open 24 hours now and there lots of small independent food shops that are open very late. There's quite a large Tesco at 311 Oxford St and two branches of Marks and Spencer - one at the Marble Arch end and and another just past Oxford Circus going towards Tottenham Court Road. The Marble Arch branch has a huge food hall in the basement. The opening hours are:

Mon: 8:00 - 20:00

Tue: 8:00 - 20:00

Wed: 8:00 - 20:00

Thu: 8:00 - 21:00

Fri: 8:00 - 20:00

Sat: 9:00 - 20:00

Sun: 12:00 - 18:00

Detroit, MI
reviews: 13
3. Re: How late are shops open?

When we were there in May, Harrods was closed on Sundays!

No kidding, it's a different culture. The stores don't open until around 9 or 9:30 (nor do the "sights" like Westminster Abbey, St Pauls and the Tower), and then most of the places close down again by 6pm!

Some of the museums and gallerys are open on certain evenings until 9pm. You could visit a store in the afternnoon of that day, then do the museum thing that evening instead (if that is the type of sight you want to see of course).

Some Tescos are open 24 hours, find a local one to where you're staying, it can come in really handy!

London
4. Re: How late are shops open?

Harrods is open from 10.00 - 20.00 Mon - sat and from 12.00 - 18.00 on a Sunday I beleive. I think that certain types of shop are only allowed, by law, to open for 6 hours on a Sunday.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
5. Re: How late are shops open?

Looking at the Harods website, they have only listed their opening times for July but they are opened until 9 pm weekdays, 9 pm on Saturdays and are open on Sundays from 12 to 6. This might be just for the summer but you can moniter their website neaer the time you are visiting:

harrods.com/Cultures/…

Looking at other large department stores such as Selfridges (Oxford Street) and Harvey Nicholls (Knightsbridge), they are all open to until 8 or 9 pm Monday to Saturday with similar opening times to Harrods on Sundays. Marks and spencers are also open until between 8 and 10 pm depending on the store.

Many of the supermarkets such as waitrose, tescos, sainsburys will be open til about 10 pm and some of them will be open 24 hours, expecailly the Tescos.

London, United...
reviews: 18
6. Re: How late are shops open?

Harrod's is very definitely open longer hours summer vs. winter so I assume the others have similar hours. I believe Harrod's closes at around 7 in winter.

London
7. Re: How late are shops open?

My advice is go in the morning (so you are sure they are open)and shop till your tired! Then pop over the road to Harvey Nicholls and have lunch in the Fifth Floor restaurant. It's very nice and good value for money.

www.harveynichols.com/output/Page113.asp

So Cal
reviews: 64
8. Re: How late are shops open?

Thank you, everyone! I started plotting out the evening museum/gallery possibilities; I shall have to work something out now for shopping/take-away eating. Relieved about the late-night/24-hour places - that's one less thing to work out.

Growing up in Australia, I remember Sunday-closing hours and the battles over them. I hadn't realized they were a legal issue in the UK.

London
reviews: 4
9. Re: How late are shops open?

There is no longer a Tesco on Oxford Street - last year this closed down and wsa replaced by a large Waterstones book shop!

Nearest supermarkets to Oxford Street are Sainsbury's at Marble Arch and Tottenham Court Road, and Tesco on Dean Street. There's also a Tesco at Goodge Street, and just south of Piccadilly Circus.

Most shops on Oxford Street are open until 7 or 8 Monday to Wednesday and Friday to Saturday, plus 8 or 9 on a Thursday. They open 12 til 6 on a Sunday.

The majority of reasonably sized Tescos (Tesco Metro) in central London stay open until midnight. Some of the tiny ones (Tesco Express) are 24 hours.

London
10. Re: How late are shops open?

Fancy a Tesco closing down! They're usually buying nice shops and turning them inot a another clone supermarket. I wish the one on Holland Park Avenue would close!