We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lightweight Carry On Rolling Luggage

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
OH
Lightweight Carry On Rolling Luggage

I have decided that my Travelpro carry on is too heavy empty. In prep for our fall trip to London/Paris, I would love to find some luggage that does not exceed 8 pounds empty. Can you share your preferences??? And.....would like to not spend more than $100 for it. Any name brands you like?

I do see Rick Steve's $129 bag at 7# -- anyone using it?

We are travelling Air France -- their guidelines say 26pounds total carry on limited to "1 baggage" and "1 accessory". Any experience as to what they mean by accessory? Would a backpack (with purse, camera, dvd, etc inside) be an accessory?

I would rather avoid checking luggage (at least on the flights to Europe).

Thanks, all!

Upminster, United...
reviews: 37
1. Re: Lightweight Carry On Rolling Luggage

I would assume "1 baggage" and "1 accessory" to mean a bag for the overhead which you won't touch during the flight and a small bag with your in flight bits and pieces.

Cheshire UK
reviews: 2
2. Re: Lightweight Carry On Rolling Luggage

Airlines usually provide the details of what they consider to be acceptable cabin baggage - e.g. a laptop plus one piece of baggage of appropriate size/weight.

Have you looked on Air France website to see if they have a definition of what is acceptable as carry on?

If there is no clear definition, I would be tempted to call them and ask.

If I can find any more helpful info I will post again. :)

Seattle
reviews: 6
3. Re: Lightweight Carry On Rolling Luggage

I never check my luggage and I use a TravelPro WalkAbout carry-on. I also carry a shoulder bag tote as my "purse" which contains my not-so-light camera. While I'm in Europe, I use the check-in kiosks so no one will question the weight of my carry-on.

Salem, Oregon
reviews: 1
4. Re: Lightweight Carry On Rolling Luggage

Last month I purchased from Mervyns a Ciao Orbit though it's 9lbs empty its also 24 inches x 16 x 10 - which is larger than most of the carry-ons I found in the price range I was looking at. I did check with several airlines before buying it to make sure it could be used as a carry-on and its dimensions are just right. And as a bonus its expandable - so I can carry it on - on the way there, and expand it once I buy some goodies while in the Uk and check it on the way home. Oh! And I only paid $50 for it (it was half off).

Of course I can't find it anywhere on the internet, but if you have a Mervyns nearby give them a call and see if they have it. The only color I found it in was red.

Best Regards.

Southlake, Texas
reviews: 45
5. Re: Lightweight Carry On Rolling Luggage

If you can wait, take your TravelPro to Europe and head for a department store where they carry Delsey. The Delsey range in Europe is completely different than that in the US, don't know why... my husband and I just bought all new luggage whilst in London, and he got a great superlightweight case that was 2.8 kilos / 6.2 pounds.

Southlake, Texas
6. Re: Lightweight Carry On Rolling Luggage

I forgot to mention, that bag from Delsey was the ODC line - from the Delsey Website:

Dimensions and weight

Inch : 15,6x21,5x7,8/9,4

2,8 KG

They have much better luggage options in Europe, in my opinion - hey ho!

OH
7. Re: Lightweight Carry On Rolling Luggage

Was the 6# case one with wheels? How costly???

Thx!

Southlake, Texas
8. Re: Lightweight Carry On Rolling Luggage

The six pound case does have wheels

Here is a link to the collection - it is the 55cm cabin trolley

www.delsey.com/pages/produits.php…

I think it was about sixty quid or so... It's a great bag, and even if you don't like that one there is a huge range of lightweight luggage you'll find at Selfridge's in the basement.

Good luck!

Menlo Park...
reviews: 18
9. Re: Lightweight Carry On Rolling Luggage

I bought a new TravelPro wheeled carry-on duffle for this trip that weighs 6 pounds. It was great.

canada
reviews: 10
10. Re: Lightweight Carry On Rolling Luggage

For the lightest weight carryon bag, nothing beats a "manila Vuitton", one version has wheels, and cheap enough to be treated as a disposable piece. It comes in different sizes too. Anyone who travel between Manila and Hong Kong would have seen one. It has no brand name as almost anyone with a sewing machine can make it at home.

What Air France indicated in this case is pretty standard in long distance international flights. The limits here exclude camera, walking stick/umbrella, and your coat (with whatever things you can stuff into those pockets.)

Beware: the rules change within Europe even on international flights. The carryon dimension shrinks from 22" to 21", 20", 19" to 18"as in Ryanair. And for practical purposes, the overhead bin on most flights can only accommodate 5" maximum thickness. Most carrier state a 5 Kg weight limit on each piece. Garment bag is now a check-in item. The expandible carryon is a good idea if you want to keep the no. of pieces small/same, as in package tours; but that means you have a smaller "payload" to begin with. Every oz counts.