We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Gatwick or Gatwick Express?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salem, Oregon
reviews: 1
Taxi from Gatwick or Gatwick Express?

We just realized that our flight into London will be into Gatwick not Heathrow. We had assumed Heathrow. Our B&B offers a taxi subsidy from either airports but I'm wondering if it will be just as fast (and less expensive) to take the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station than take the tube to our B&B in Harrow? From the looks of things Gatwick is farther away than Heathrow - therefore it would cost more to take a taxi? Any information you would have would be greatly appreciated!

USA
reviews: 39
1. Re: Taxi from Gatwick or Gatwick Express?

If you do go for Gatwick Express, you can get roundtrip tickets from Expedia for about $34 U.S. right now.

Ottawa, ON
2. Re: Taxi from Gatwick or Gatwick Express?

Where in Harrow do you have to get to? For example, if it is near the Harrow & Wealdstone station, you can take a Southern train direct from Gatwick.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 27
3. Re: Taxi from Gatwick or Gatwick Express?

I believe you are staying in North Harrow. In that case you have two rail transport choices.

1) Gatwick Expresss to Victoria. Victoria Line to Green Park, Jubilee Line to Finchley Road, Metropolitan Line to North Harrow.

Cost per person: 13GBP (possibly less if GE booked with Expedia) plus tube fare of 3.80GBP. Journey time about 90 minutes in all.

2) Southern Train direct from Gatwick to Harrow & Wealdstone the short bus or taxi ride (or maybe your hosts could meet you?). One train an hour at 37 minutes past the hour. Early in the day and at weekends you may need to change at Clapham Junction.

Cost: 10.60GBP per person plus cost of taxi (5GBP?) or bus (1.20GBP per person). Journey time 52 minutes plus possible wait time at Gatwick plus time to get to B&B from Harrow & Wealdstone.

If you let me know the flight and time details I would get more exact details of this second and IMHO better route.

Adam C

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Salem, Oregon
4. Re: Taxi from Gatwick or Gatwick Express?

Thank you all for your info!

We aren't going until December. In fact we fly in on boxing day at 10am. SO I imagine there will be some changes to the regular train schedule since its a holiday (?)

I will take all the info you provided and get out the maps and see if I can follow you. I'll be back if I can't figure it out.

Thanks again!

Gillian

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
5. Re: Taxi from Gatwick or Gatwick Express?

All bets are off on Boxing Day which we take far more seriously than you! The Gatwick Express will run but we won't know about other services until much nearer the time.

I am sure one of us will post here when the Chrstmas tube schedules are published.

Salem, Oregon
6. Re: Taxi from Gatwick or Gatwick Express?

Sounds good. I'll definately be back later in the year to get help with this.

Adam, thanks for all of your great help and advice!!!

Gillian

Greenfield, Ohio
reviews: 2
7. Re: Taxi from Gatwick or Gatwick Express?

Adamhornets: While you're giving advice on travel from Gatwick, could you include info on getting to the Darlington Hyde Park? We will be arriving at 7 am on a Friday morning. Many thanks for all your insights!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
8. Re: Taxi from Gatwick or Gatwick Express?

Hi Library Lady and welcome to the Forum.

I would suggest the Gatwick Express to Victoria and then The Circle Line westbound via Notting Hill Gate to Paddington. 8 stops so shouldn't take more than about 25 minutes. From there, it is a five minute walk to the Darlington.

By the time you get to Victoria the tube is likely to be busy so be prepared for a bit of pushing and shoving. If you have a lot of luggage you may prefer to take a taxi (rank right outside the station) which shouldn't cost more than 10-12GBP.

Texas
reviews: 2
9. Re: Taxi from Gatwick or Gatwick Express?

If you decide to take a train, you can purchase your tickets in advance (and save cost by advance purchase) and pick them up through a Fast Ticket machine when you get there. We have taken the train from Windsor to Gatwick (changing trains at Clapham) and it was no problem and right on time.

Here is the weblink for purchasing the tickets. One point to note, is that you can't purchase until three months in advance--ie you can't buy the tickets now for December.

www.thetrainline.com

Have a great trip.

Viborg, Denmark
10. Re: Taxi from Gatwick or Gatwick Express?

LibraryLady50 the easiest way to get to Darlington Hyde Park is to take the Gatwick Express to Victoria and from there a taxi to the hotel.