We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street Market for garden lovers?

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA-NC
reviews: 65
Street Market for garden lovers?

I can't seem to find where I read about a street market that not only sells plants, but also is a great place to buy items for your garden. Does anyone have any information on this--what, where and when it is open?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: Street Market for garden lovers?

A trip to Columbia Road flower market is in your future - have a look at www.columbia-flower-market.freewebspace.com or www.eastlondonmarkets.com.

The first website says the closest tube station is Old Street, but you can pick up a bus from Liverpool Street station, too, and avoice the Northern line.

The market is great, but very very crowded. You'll need a cuppa at Jones Dairy cafe after visiting!

Salem, Oregon
reviews: 6
2. Re: Street Market for garden lovers?

Hi, rlbk. I can't answer your specific question, but I can give you a tip for keeping track of things you want to know later: Put your name in a post to that thread, as a signature. Later, when you're ready to pull together all the good ideas you've heard about and want to use, you can do a search for your signature and all those threads will come up. Print them out. Voila, a personalized guide book!

For instance, you could do a post that says,

Thanks for the info, Travellerplus.

rlbk

The search does not include your name when it shows up as the originator of a thread.

USA-NC
3. Re: Street Market for garden lovers?

That's the one! Thank you both!

Salem, Oregon
reviews: 6
4. Re: Street Market for garden lovers?

rlbk, I couldn't help but laugh, it looks like you completely missed the point of my post. :)

Probably you just printed out TravellerPlus' information or did a further search right then and there, but it looked like my post went right over your head (I'm sure it didn't, just struck me as funny).

London, UK
reviews: 7
5. Re: Street Market for garden lovers?

Second Colombia Road. I like the gourmet bagel shop - very tongue in cheek.

The market closes at 2pm, & the flowers & plants that won't last to the next market are sold off cheap.

Colombia Rd is a Sunday mkt, & Broadway in nearby Hackney runs on Saturday.

London, UK
6. Re: Street Market for garden lovers?

Colombia Rd gets very very crowded, AND parking is a nightmare.

It's a good 10 mnute walk from Old St tube. It's VERY unlikely you will find a taxi cab free in the area, so be prepared to lug your purchases back to HQ on the tube, OR ask your taxi cab to wait for you....meter will be running.

It's a great place to visit for the Sunday market vibe, just milling round with Us Locals, noshing a bacon bagel & mug of tea, taking some great photos & maybe taking home some glorious cut price blooms for your hotel room.

Also, watch your pockets....

USA-NC
7. Re: Street Market for garden lovers?

BritFan---I understood your post, but as I'm leaving in a couple of days, I really didn't need to keep a record of it. Glad I could make you laugh!

Brighton, United...
reviews: 25
8. Re: Street Market for garden lovers?

Emparr - parking is fine at the local school on Gossett Street (mentioned on the website already given) if you get there fairly early. To be honest, as many people have mentioned, the market gets really crowded and I find that quite unpleasant, so I always used to aim to get there by 8.30am. I could then park (at the school) with no hassle, mooch around, fill my car with beautiful plants and flowers, and some beautiful pots from the pottery, and then have a bagel and a coffee in the sunshine. By then it would be about 10.30am and a nice time to go home and do some planting.

I really miss Columbia Road now that I am stuck here in Belgium!

London, UK
9. Re: Street Market for garden lovers?

Aha, I learn something new everyday - parking at the school.

Will check that out.

London, UK
10. Re: Street Market for garden lovers?

You could ask your cabby to park up & wait for you in the school car park - he can have a bagel, cuppa & browse the sunday papers with the clock ticking.

Ah, money to burn, if only....