We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with planning itinerary

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 9
Please help with planning itinerary

Hi!

I'm in a great fix here and would really appreciate some advice. Will be in london from june 17-18 (about 1.5 days) and there are so many places I want to visit and see but not enough time. I would love to hear some opinions about how best I can maximise my time in london.

I would probably reach london some time before noon on a friday, and will be leaving for the airport in the evening (4+pm) on saturday.

The places I have decided to go to are the london eye and the tower of london.

The places I want to visit (as in enter the place and not just look from the outside) but I'm not sure if I have time or if they are worth it are:

- Westminster abbey

- Westminster cathedral (how different is the cathedral from the abbey?)

- St Paul's Cathedral

- Hampton Court Palace

- Buckingham Palace

- British Museum

- Natural History Museum

- Science Museum

- Windsor Castle

Places I want to see:

- Tower Bridge

- Trafalgar Square

- Piccadilly Circus and West End theatres

- Houses of Parliament & Big Ben

- Harrods

- Hyde Park

- Kensington Gardens

- Covent Garden

- King's Cross Station; Platform 9 3/4 (which platform is it, really?)

- Greenwich (but that's too far from central London right?)

I should also add that I'm not a particularly religious person nor a big fan of art (which is why I'm giving places like Tate Modern a miss). It is very expensive to visit many palaces and cathedrals. Hence, I'm wondering, out of Buckingham, Hampton Court, Kensington and Windsor, which is most worth my time and money to visit? Same for Westminster vs St Paul's.

I don't drink but I know that pubbing is part of the London culture. Hence, I'm wondering if I can/should just pop into a pub to take a look or is that too stupid?

What I would really like to know here is which places I ought to visit. Are there any that I should go to but I've not listed? In addition, it will also help me greatly if I can get some advice as to which places I should go to on Friday and which on Saturday, as well as the order which I should visit them (considering their closing times and proximity to each other).

How long would one recommend me to stay at each venue?

1 trouble I have with planning the itinerary is that I have no idea how long the Tube ride takes (I'm thinking of getting 2 1-day Travelcards). I come from a tiny country (Singapore), where the train ride between stations is usually 5 minutes, never exceeding 10minutes; and the train ride between the furthest ends of the country will at most take 1.5-2hours.

How long does it take (on average) between 2 successive Tube stations? What about from 1 end of Zone 1 to the other end, i.e. from Tower Hill to South Kensington? Is the wait for the train ride long? What about the journey between 2 different lines? I think a Zone 1-2 Travelcard will suffice, am I right? Unless I decide to go to Hampton Court Palace.

Various attractions mentioned concession for students, with a valid student pass. I am wondering if anyone knows what a "valid student pass" entail. I am currently an undergraduate in Singapore. My friend has been to London before and managed to get a student concession at the Tower of London using her bus pass (a photo card which states that she is a tertiary student). I'm not sure if this will work again, or should I apply for the international student card (which will cost more money)?

Will the London Pass be worth my money if I can't get a student concession?

Really hope to hear some opinions soon. Thanks! =)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 27
31. Re: Please help with planning itinerary

Hammersmith is indeed in Zone 2.

A single tube journey in zones 1 & 2 is 2.30GBP and in zone 1 only is 2.00GBP whilst a one day travelcard for journeys after 9.30am covering tubes in both zones and all buses is 4.70GBP. You will start saving money on your third journey and you will only have to queue for a ticket once.

Salem, Oregon
reviews: 6
32. Re: Please help with planning itinerary

Unless you know for absolute certain that you are only going to get on at point A and go to point B once, no exceptions, I find it makes more sense to get the travelcard. I always end up "going with the flow" which means a change of plans, following a whim, etc. It also allows you to jump on a bus for a bit of a break if you want.