We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth to see in London (except the major attractions)

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Finland
reviews: 2
Worth to see in London (except the major attractions)

More questions (it's so nice to have someone to ask)... So big city, so many parts of town with or without a tube station - which of them are "just boring gray suburbs" and which are worth seeing and spending some time, seeing "real london life" outside the major tourist attractions, maybe go to shopping? The guide books mainly tell about the central London quarters, but are there places worth visiting elsewhere too?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 15
1. Re: Worth to see in London (except the major attractions)

What are your interests? Art, architecture, shopping, gardening, cycling, history....etc etc. Good for you for wanting to go further afield, but it's easier to know what to suggest if we know what you'd like to see. You could walk on Hampstead Heath (or swim in the lido there) or Primrose Hill or take the DLR to parts of Docklands that are still under development and some that have been turned into not much more than sterile blocks of flats. You can visit the Whitechapel Bell Foundry, which has been making bells since 1570 - Big Ben, for one.

Tell us what you'd like, or even what you don't care for, as there's so much from which to choose. If you buy a Travelcard (see plenty of other posts here on the subject), you will have unlimited use of bus, tube, DLR and some discounts on river trips, so you can go as far as you'd like within the zones of your card.

Viborg, Denmark
2. Re: Worth to see in London (except the major attractions)

I would take the train to Docklands and just wander around, its a very interesting area.

Canada
3. Re: Worth to see in London (except the major attractions)

I'm gonna visit Highgate cemetary.

London, UK
reviews: 7
4. Re: Worth to see in London (except the major attractions)

Ptolomy,

Highgate cemetary is a classy day out - are you heading for the overgrown bit ???

Have you been to Patisserie Louis on Heath Street - just by Hampstead tube ? Worth a visit - unchanged for some 40 years, apart from the cakes....

Highgate village (very top of Highgate High Street) now has a set of OK bistros, & possibly a *bucks. South Grove has the Flask pub - not to be missed.

You can take a quick walk down Highgate High Street & dodge into the local Waterlow Park. Lauderdale House facing on to the main road has an art gallery & a little caff out the back looking on to the park.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=528738&y=187293&z=1&sv=Highgate+hill&st=1&tl=Highgate+Hill,+N6&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

somewhere out there
5. Re: Worth to see in London (except the major attractions)

Walthamstow market is a really authentic London market, sort of like Portobello road's lower end was 30 years ago, where all the stall holders still call you "Love"!

St. Petersburg...
reviews: 22
6. Re: Worth to see in London (except the major attractions)

Where is Walthamstow Market? Sounds interesting!

Halifax, NS
reviews: 10
7. Re: Worth to see in London (except the major attractions)

I love Walthamstow market and go there every time I'm in London. You take the Victoria line tube to the last stop, which is Walthamstow, in Zone 3. The easiest way to describe how to get there is: when you exit the tube at street level, turn right and walk to the nearest traffic lights. At the lights, turn left and cross the street. Walk north 2 blocks, and you'll see the beginning of the market. It's about 20 blocks long and you can buy anything from clothes to fruits and vegetables, to jellied eels, to material for sewing to hardware - you name it, they sell it. The market is open every day - not sure about Sun. - and there are great bargains to be had.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 21
8. Re: Worth to see in London (except the major attractions)

Is this Antti's Johanna (aka Sisi)? There could not be that many Johanna's from Finland. This is Renee (aka reipan40) from Criuse Critic board and Sept. 04 Explorer of the Seas. We are traveling it Great Britian and Ireland to visit table mates Chris and Derek and Mary and Joe at the end of May and I have been chatting and reading this board. There is some great information and people are so helpful. Just wanted to say hello!

Houston, Texas
reviews: 21
9. Re: Worth to see in London (except the major attractions)

Sorry Johanna, I just saw that you are single and a school teacher. My friend is married and still attends university. Have a great trip!

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 3
10. Re: Worth to see in London (except the major attractions)

The rooftop gardens at 100(Ithink) Derry Street---off High Steet Kensington.