We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Amsterdam

Which London hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
London to Amsterdam

Hello! I'm trying to plan a trip for 8 days- 4 days in London and 4 days in Amsterdam during April. I found some flights from london to amsterdamn on easyjet.com. However, the flights are from Gatwick and Luton and Stansted and NOT Heathrow.

How far are these airports from Heathrow?

I'll need to catch an 11am connecting flight back to the US, so I need to secure an early flight back from Amsterdam to London. If anyone had info on the relative distance of these airports to Heathrow..it would be helpful. Or any other advice for travel to those cities.

Thank you!

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
reviews: 68
1. Re: London to Amsterdam

this link gives you all the info you need.

http://tinyurl.com/cz9zd

LTN & LGW are both around 40miles from LHR.

STN is about 65-70miles.

I assume you have looked at BA, BMI & Lufthansa who all have Amsterdam services from LHR.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
2. Re: London to Amsterdam

Each of the airports is over an hour from Heathrow by direct coach - Gatwick is nearest, Stansted the furthest. Then you have to take into account UK immigration, collecting luggage, buying tickets, waiting for a coach, check-in & security. With luck & a good tail wind that will take at least 4 hours

Earliest flight from AMS doesn' t reach London until about 9:00am

With an 11am flight it would be foolhardy to fly to any other airport apart from Heathrow and even then do you want to risk missing your connecting flight?

Fly in the night before or change your flight home to be from Amsterdam

San Francisco
3. Re: London to Amsterdam

Thanks for the information! Much appreciated..

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 15
4. Re: London to Amsterdam

Check on flights with KLM and VLM to and from London CIty Airport - there are flights arriving at 0705 and 0715 that might work. It takes just minutes to go through formalities at LCY, and if you could get to Paddington in 45 minutes by Tube and DLR, you could be at LHR by 0900-0930.

Worth considering.

5. Re: London to Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, August 28, 2009