We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hidden Gem

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool England
reviews: 132
Hidden Gem

I did a review of the Victoria Museum and Art Gallery but think it decides a wider audience as its a terrific place and deserves a wider Audience, here goes

This museum is in a building all Liverpudlians will know but never visited. Its the red brick building with the ornate clocktower opposite the catholic cathedral. Its free to enter and has displays on two floors and a cafe on the ground floor. As you enter I guarantee you will be stunned by this victorian masterpiece in tiling, the great fireplace is breathtaking. This has to be one of the best cafe venues in the North west.

The displays include a history of dentistry which is very gory and a hands on display of the hittite empire which sounds boring but isnt I promise, kids will enjoy the explorers tent and hands on exhibits.

In the art gallery are the bird drawings of John James Audubon his book of birds is one of the most expensive in the world one copy is in Liverpools library and will go on display this year, the exhibition here is of his stay in Liverpool with the Rathbone family who were his patrons in the city.

This museum is little known but deserves more visitors.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
reviews: 65
1. Re: Hidden Gem

Wow, I never knew this place existed !

Good to see it's open on Saturdays too. Will have to pop along there tomorrow. ;-)

http://vgm.liverpool.ac.uk/

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
reviews: 40
2. Re: Hidden Gem

Thanks John

New one on me too

We will have to add it to the list of things to suggest to visitors

Liverpool just keeps getting better as a destination.

Will be popping in next week

Liverpool, England
reviews: 22
3. Re: Hidden Gem

It has been open for at least a couple of years now! It contains the university's various collections, but also hosts various temporary exhibitions.

The University Campus is a much overlooked area of the city centre, I think - containing some great buildings and public spaces.

The 'Garstang Archeological Musem' will re-open soon, after renovations - and is home to the university's collection of Egyptian and other antiquities. Liverpool University's Egyptology departments is one of the oldest, if not the first in the country.

San Francisco, CA
reviews: 71
4. Re: Hidden Gem

When I was in Liverpool in 2010, the concierge at the Marriott didn't know where this museum was. I'd heard about an exhibit honoring John Lennon there but didn't have time to seek it out myself.

Good to know about his place for a future trip.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
reviews: 65
5. Re: Hidden Gem

Not sure about the "exhibit honoring John Lennon" that you mention; but there is a John Lennon Peace Monument which was originally at Chavasse Park at the top of Liverpool One.

It has now been moved to by the Big Wheel, in between the Echo Arena and Jurys Inn hotel, next to Albert Dock.

Edited: 5:42 am, February 23, 2013
liverpool
reviews: 11
6. Re: Hidden Gem

Well done great post !

Liverpool England
reviews: 132
7. Re: Hidden Gem

The gallery updates its exhibitions, currently Hittites and Liverpools modern links with Turkey

liverpool
reviews: 3
8. Re: Hidden Gem

Wow. Go past there everyday and didn't know you could go in there .

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
reviews: 39
9. Re: Hidden Gem

Well worth a visit; and it's a pleasant lunch in the cafe there. (Perhaps the John Lennon topic mentioned above was in connection with the exhibition of a few years ago of numerous Stuart Sutcliffe paintings).

10. Re: Hidden Gem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 04, 2014