We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blackpool in January

Which Blackpool hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malta
Blackpool in January

I want to visit Blackpool for a day and plan to visit Madame Tussaude, Blackpool Tower, Blackpool dungeons and Sealife. Whats the atmosphere like in January? Is it worth it? Are they open?

Tees Valley
reviews: 91
1. Re: Blackpool in January

Alex, Blackpool is pretty much closed as a tourist destination in January in terms of atmosphere but I understand the Tower remains open and Sealife and Madame Tussaud's too. Here is a link to savings for those places during January.

http://www.visitsealife.com/Blackpool/

I think the Pleasure Beach may only open weekends but weather might put a stop to that at times.

Not a vibrant time to visit but it will be quiet, no queues! Wrap up, it's cold on the Prom! Lol

Jules

Blackpool
reviews: 9
2. Re: Blackpool in January

Note, Pleasure Beach does not open until Feb 9th

Blackpool
3. Re: Blackpool in January

No queues!!! Heaven!! Add a sunny day!

Enjoy a spectacular storm from the Promenade! NB Tower top closes if wind is above 40mph. Zoo is also open all year. Town centre fully open. Many small tourist shops/stalls will be closed. Several shows are on in the Winter Gardens Grand Theatre etc. Check websites for opening times! theblackpooltower.com/plan-your-visit/times-…

Warm clothing essential! Umbrellas are useless (wind), unless you are Mary Poppins! A lot happening mid February with Showzam at Half term http://www.showzam.co.uk/whatson/

Edited: 7:49 am, January 06, 2013
newcastle/england
Destination Expert
for Magaluf
reviews: 15
4. Re: Blackpool in January

There is nothing quite as sad as a major holiday resort out of season and Blackpool is no exception...apart from the weekends its pretty desolate in mid winter as the piers, most arcades and the pleasure beach are all closed...all the towns shops are open of course, but really this is the worst possible month to visit Blackpool...

Southampton, UK
reviews: 4
5. Re: Blackpool in January

The waxwork place is Blackpool is Louis Tussauds or something, total rip off of the other one. If you melt a candle at home it's probably have more chance of looking like someone famous than most of the people in there.

Looks like it may be gone though, it was truly awful mind...

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2225636/Worlds-…

Stafford, United...
reviews: 4
6. Re: Blackpool in January

James J aren't you getting mixed up with Great Yarmouth as that's the where the wax works are in the Daily Mail article.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Merlin plc take over the waxworks in Blackpool and bring it up to the standard of Madam Tussauds which they also run?

newcastle/england
Destination Expert
for Magaluf
reviews: 15
7. Re: Blackpool in January

I admire Blackpool holidays positive spin on things, but apart from the city centre shops its a ghost town in January

The only place i know which opens on the "mile" is Coral Island.

"Heaven" it is not LOL

Tees Valley
8. Re: Blackpool in January

I tend to agree with you kj5556, the OP is obviously visiting but not sure I'd prefer a winter's day in Blackpool to Malta! I've only been to Blackpool once in January for a conference and apart from the shops, it felt very deserted and sad on the front!

Jules

Blackpool
9. Re: Blackpool in January

If you enjoy jostling with the crowds then January is not for you!! ...Went in Sealife last week, only a few families in. I really enjoyed myself viewing the fish and taking photos. Peaceful and a nice relaxing afternoon. The attraction was much better than I expected. Madame T, very nice, but tbh not my cup of tea! Visited Blackpool Tower just after Christmas. No queue, waited 10 minutes for the Theatre to open for the 4D film. Around 20 persons for the last ride of the day to the top. 4D Film was excellent. Staff very friendly, went to the top, and spent 45 minutes enjoying the view and taking photos. Then an interesting chat to a knowledgeable person in charge up there. Having a seat on an almost empty tram is far preferable (for me!) to being packed like a sardine on trams and trains!!! B&M Bargains is recommended too! Some streets are like a Ghost town - Blackpool is the original Ghost Town!! Maybe I have lived in coastal resorts all my life, and after a packed Season having the place to 'yourself’ can be pleasant. I have never found it sad, especially watching the sea. Occasionally you can get sandblasted on a windy day – not recommended! Looking forward to Pleasure Beach opening on the 9th Feb - Got my season pass for £99 - half price till end of January! If you like it packed - go on a Saturday!!! (Great atmosphere) I like Sundays or midweek, when you there are less queues or walk on!

Edited: 11:46 am, January 07, 2013
Tees Valley
10. Re: Blackpool in January

If I lived in Blackpool I'm sure I'd feel like you too Blackpoolholidays but as a tourist, it feels a bit tumbleweed out of season.

But there must be one major advantage, being able to park easily! Lol

Jules