We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blackpool back in the Day

Which Blackpool hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane
reviews: 1
Blackpool back in the Day

Hi All,

Great forum you have here.

I lived in Blackpool back in the late 60's and early 70's as a youngster.

I lived on Knowle Avenue near the Boating Pool and Uncle Tom's Cabin, I have fantastic memories from those years.

We emmigrated to Australia in 1975 and I have never had the chance to go back.

Hopefully one day we will get back to see how things have changed.

Cheers

Mac

Dunfermline, Fife
reviews: 10
1. Re: Blackpool back in the Day

The Boating Pool is one of the first memories I have of Blackpool (other than confusing Kincardine Bridge with Blackpool tower on a very early journey down !!).

We used to always stay at the Boston Hotel which was right across the road from it. Walked along that way recently but there aint no water in it now. I guess there hasn't been any for a while.

Hopefully you will get to come back. Some things might not have changed for the better, but by and large most things will look/be much better than you remember.

Brisbane
2. Re: Blackpool back in the Day

We used to go Crabbing in the Boating pool, is it still there?

Looking on google earth it looks like its been filled in.

We had holiday flats just down from there, about 3 blocks back from the front.

I was only young when we left 11 or 12.

Blackpool
reviews: 9
3. Re: Blackpool back in the Day

I presume you mean the boating pool near The Cliffs Hotel? They have just got planning permission for a go-kart track there which should open soon

England
reviews: 124
4. Re: Blackpool back in the Day

Hi.

I loved the Boating Pool when I was a kid, but I was a bit scared of the grey concrete sea wall - it gave me the creeps for some reason! I particularly remember the animal ride - I liked the giraffe and used to go on it all the time.

It's been gone for years - anyone know when? It was there during my childhood, and then it wasn't - all without me noticing!

:)

Brisbane
5. Re: Blackpool back in the Day

Yes I mean the Boating Pool across from Uncle Toms Cabin.

There used to be an elavator going down from the Promenade to the Boating pool and there was a glass window in it, as you decended there were little scenes set in the rock wall.

When did the Boating Pool close?

Blackpool, United...
reviews: 29
6. Re: Blackpool back in the Day

The lift is still there but not in use, as is the boating pool.Good to hear they are going to do something with it. People are amazed to walk from our hotel onto the seafront and find thay are actually on top of Blackpool Cliffs. Earlier this week the visibility was so good I could see North Wales, the Isle of Man, and of course the lake district from overlooking the cliffs. The air is so fresh as the wind is normally blowing in off the sea. It's quite ironic that Blackpool often gets negative publicity about being dirty when in fact we breathe some of the freshest air in the world. Hmmm, that could be a good excuse to increase our council tax!!

7. Re: Blackpool back in the Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, August 15, 2009