We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Green Algae (BGA)

Which Windermere hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Doncaster
reviews: 8
Blue Green Algae (BGA)

I know very little about this subject and would appreciate any useful comments / information

We have booked at White Cross Bay for 2 weeks in August and primarily for our Dog to swim in the Lake as he absolutely loves it. We get 2 weeks away too its true !

I have just found though that BGA has been reported in the Lake and people should keep their dogs out. The Environment Agency has good information which I have just read and it advises obviously keeping Dogs out which makes perfect sense

What I don't know is the current state of the BGA, whether it is predicted to last into Autumn (or whether it even CAN) , whether it dies off with a change in the weather and if it does how long does the water remains "toxic"

A lot of questions but really appreciate any answers anyone may have. I am a few days short of paying my balance and have to decide whether to cut our losses and head elsewhere. Mutt is the priority here !

Many thanks

7 replies to this topic
Windermere, United...
1. Re: Blue Green Algae (BGA)

Interesting information for the local paper here:

thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/…

Hope that helps

Lake District...
reviews: 61
2. Re: Blue Green Algae (BGA)

cumbriacrack.com/2014/…

"Waters near Lakeside YMCA (SD 37540 89840) have been found to have a blue-green algal bloom or the potential for one to form."

Chester, United...
reviews: 11
3. Re: Blue Green Algae (BGA)

Maybe get in touch with the Environment Agency for advice?

East Sussex, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Blue Green Algae (BGA)

^^^ It's a bit to late for that Queenio, the OP was booked to stay there in August.

Chester, United...
5. Re: Blue Green Algae (BGA)

Hadn't realised and was trying to help, I'd picked up the part saying Autumn.

UK
reviews: 89
6. Re: Blue Green Algae (BGA)

Yeh, that's a very curious word to use (autumn) when referring to a holiday in August. I guess that they probably meant they might delay their holiday into autumn if August didn't work out but weren't clear about it. And my local lake has a horrendous gb algae problem at the moment so it does last into autumn, but it's very local conditions dependent.

Edited: 3:42 am, October 08, 2014
Chester, United...
7. Re: Blue Green Algae (BGA)

Thanks Joe

Reply to: Blue Green Algae (BGA)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted