We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for my trip to Lake District

Which Windermere hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brentwood, United...
reviews: 2
Suggestions for my trip to Lake District

Hello,

I will be visit Lake District from 9th-12th March with my wife and 2 year old kid. I will arrive by train from London Euston. I won't have a car and I will depend on the public transport system.

My interests primarily lie in natural beauty spots.

Hopefully the trip advisor community can help me with below queries:)

1) Where should I stay...Windermere or Keswick or Kendal? I am leaning towards windermere.

2) What are the places I can visit without it being hectic and using a bus?

Cheers...

Ottawa, ON
reviews: 59
1. Re: Suggestions for my trip to Lake District

1. In your circumstances, I'd probably lean towards Keswick, with Ambleside as 2nd choice. But Windermere is ok.

2. Take a look at the Cumbria bus map at cumbria.gov.uk/elibrary/…40863143216.pdf to see where you can get to from where ever you are starting. Bus schedules at cumbria.gov.uk/roads-transport/public-transp…

Windermere
reviews: 27
2. Re: Suggestions for my trip to Lake District

Hi

I would base myself in Windermere as the main trains come into that station also the local bus service which will not be fully on the summer timetable is easy to access from here. You will be able to go to Keswick, Ambleside etc or take a local tour which will collect you from your accomodation. Keswick is beautiful but you are visiting early seaon and as you have a small child with you I would recommend less travelling once you are here.

merseyside
reviews: 123
3. Re: Suggestions for my trip to Lake District

We dont drive, always arrive on the train and have stayed in Bowness, Windermere, and, Ambleside. The bus station is directly outside the train station but I think Keswick will be a little to far with a toddler. Ambleside isn't to long on the bus but when we stayed there we did get a taxi about £10 one way to our B&B. Check the timetables for the buses although they can be a little infrequent out of school holidays we managed to get around to Kendal, Keswick, Ambleside, Hawkshead, Grasmere, and, Elterwater (although for Elterwater we did need to change buses in Ambleside). Dont forget there are also the steamers on Lake Windermere that you can use, hope you have a good time.

Brentwood, United...
reviews: 2
4. Re: Suggestions for my trip to Lake District

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I

5. Re: Suggestions for my trip to Lake District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:26 pm, February 04, 2013
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
reviews: 37
6. Re: Suggestions for my trip to Lake District

Walter I think you are pushing your accomodation a bit strongly

Advertising not allowed on here.

location location
Destination Expert
for Lake District
reviews: 61
7. Re: Suggestions for my trip to Lake District

Best use the reporting function Leuca - the messages get deleted fairly quickly by TA but even I can't keep up!

8. Re: Suggestions for my trip to Lake District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 06, 2014