We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be very careful considering going to Windermere in winter

Which Windermere hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 8
Be very careful considering going to Windermere in winter

My Fiancee and I just had a great time in Windermere last weekend, apart from all the pavements in Windermere being covered in sheet ice.

I do NOT recommend going to Windermere in winter if you're not very able bodied, the council doesn't employee anyone to clear/grit the pavements, making them very dangerous, especially for older people. we're in our early 30's and fit and still had lots of trouble.

When we gave up walking ourselves and booked a Taxi, the taxi lady said that her mother had been housebound since Xmas as she couldn't walk outside!

The council has a lot to answer for, looks like they're useless.

Otherwise, once you get out of Windermere and go for a wander around the lake, it's fantastic.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 57
1. Re: Be very careful considering going to Windermere in winter

Pretty much a similar story across the country. I doubt Windermere is worse than most places. A woman in Cape Wrath was stranded for 15 days with a turkey after going out for some Christmas shopping. It's not reported what her husband was eating back home.

It's not easy clearing sheet ice from pavements.

Cambs
reviews: 43
2. Re: Be very careful considering going to Windermere in winter

There was a recent post on the Swiss Alps forums about the icy streets in Zermatt - the consensus was that the Swiss authorities didn't make much effort in clearing their pavements either!

London
3. Re: Be very careful considering going to Windermere in winter

yeah, it's just a shame the local council couldn't employee just one or two people full time (e.g. street cleaners) to sweep/shovel the snow off just the main street pavements soon after the snow falls (i.e. before several days of people walking over it and having it re-freeze a few times turning it in to sheet ice) would've worked wonders, or at least throw grit on the sheet ice.

The pavement was clear in front of some shops down by the ferry, but I found out that it was the shopkeepers who cleared that!

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 57
4. Re: Be very careful considering going to Windermere in winter

There's a few urban myths going round that if you clear the path in front of your house/shop and then if someone slips, you could be sued for making the path unsafe...

Dunno if that is true, but I would say this has been the worst cold spell for many years, with successive waves of snowing, thawing, freezing and snow again. Difficult to clear paths.

england
5. Re: Be very careful considering going to Windermere in winter

I think its a bit unfair to mention Windemere in the title of this post, please, everyone, be careful wherever you are, consider whether you need to travel, have a hat, gloves, shovel, food flask etc in the car and take care in general. I live in East Anglia, near King;s Lynn, we have no hills but I have seen three people fall over in the car park of our supermarket this week.

Its not Windermere's fault.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
reviews: 18
6. Re: Be very careful considering going to Windermere in winter

This could apply to anywhere in the UK. We have slippy pavements and roads here but I wouldn't advise tourists to avoid this area. A bit unfair to post this I think.

Avignon, France
Destination Expert
for Avignon
reviews: 78
7. Re: Be very careful considering going to Windermere in winter

I agree, this could apply to many places in UK just now - councils haven't been clearing snow and ice as we think they should; maybe lack of manpower, grit, salt, snowploughs. Council tax rises cause a lot of complaints - in March, when the new bills come out, and after the snow has disappeared - we hope!

We went on honeymoon to the Lake District at Christmas many years ago; that was winter - and the whole area was wonderful; taking OPs advice would mean staying away for 3 months - don't know what businesses in the area would do!

Maybe London doesn't have such problems, but I think they do in places.