We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses to Windermere from Keswick

Which Keswick hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buderim, Australia
Buses to Windermere from Keswick

Hi there, I've booked a B&B in Keswick for 3 nights in August, travelling by coach from Manchester. I'd like to do a few day tours which I've just realised leave from Windermere or Ambleside.

My question is - how reliable are the local buses in Keswick? I've tried to do a search of Stagecoach bus timetables but am unsure which route number it would be, as I've not been to The Lakes District before.

I'm now wondering if I should change my accommodation to Windermere or Ambleside, wherever I stay needs to be easily accessible by public transport.

(After the Lakes District I'm heading to Edinburgh)

Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated. Kylie

10 replies to this topic
Blyth, United...
1. Re: Buses to Windermere from Keswick

Have a look at www.cumbria.gov.uk,this is a County Council web sight and it has local bus links that might help you.You need the bus that runs between Keswick & Kendal (555)I think.Someone more local may respond later! Have a good trip.

Edited: 11:10 am, December 30, 2013
reviews: 33
2. Re: Buses to Windermere from Keswick

The 555 bus is regular. In terms of reliability, in August it will be affected by the roads being solid with traffic. Especially on the roads around Windermere and Grasmere.

Windermere
reviews: 37
3. Re: Buses to Windermere from Keswick

The 555 runs from Lancaster to Keswick. The new summer timetable usually starts around 1 April. I find the brochure they produce very useful but the website is difficult to use, even when you do know the area! There would probably be a bus once an hour at the most. Once you get as far as Grasmere the more regular 599 bus service operates on a loop to Bowness, via Windermere train station. The 599 summer bus service runs every 20 mins. I believe Stagecoach also do special tickets if you are doing more than 1 trip over a few days (some of these also include boat cruises on Windermere). Keswick is a great place to be based if your activities are at that end. The bus journey between Keswick and Windermere would probably take about an hour in the summer. Grasmere is another great base and would give you easier transport options in both directions.

Buderim, Australia
reviews: 2
4. Re: Buses to Windermere from Keswick

Thawnks for your help, I've decided to stay at Windemere as I'd like to do a river cruise and another of the lakes which departs from there. Ive got 3 nights though so might still get the bus to Keswick as it sounds lovely

Blyth, United...
5. Re: Buses to Windermere from Keswick

The area that you have chosen to stay is very pleasant part of the UK. I hope you have a good holiday,and that our weather is kind to you.

Buderim, Australia
6. Re: Buses to Windermere from Keswick

Thanks Michael, really looking forward to it

Buderim, Australia
7. Re: Buses to Windermere from Keswick

Thanks, really looking forward to it

reviews: 33
8. Re: Buses to Windermere from Keswick

Keswick is a much better bet for a lake cruise, the one on Windermere is very busy on a big boat and not espcially pretty compared to other lakes

Buderim, Australia
9. Re: Buses to Windermere from Keswick

Thanks GEJP, I'll keep that in mind

Leeds, UK
reviews: 99
10. Re: Buses to Windermere from Keswick

For tours you cant go wrong with Mountain Goat Tours, we have done two in the past and loved them.

Reply to: Buses to Windermere from Keswick
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted