We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grasmere in winter

Which Grasmere hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seoul, South Korea
Grasmere in winter

I'm planning to visit Lake District this February with my parents.

I wonder if it'd be possible to get to Windermere by train at about 2pm and move on to Grasmere center by bus, then walk to Dove cottage before it is closed.

Btw, on the google map I see the Stock Lane that connects the village to the cottage but I can only see cars on it.. Is it okay to walk on the road or is there any other way? It'd be even nicer if there's a 'walkable' road from the village to lake Grasmere.

I'd be so happy to listen to you!

Best regards, Kyung Ah

2 replies to this topic
Windermere, United...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Grasmere in winter

Hi

Buses are every hour during Winter and you should be able to get to Grasmere in about 40 minutes. You need to look at the 555 on the attached link

cumbria.gov.uk/roads-transport/public-transp…

Where will you be getting the train from?

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 59
2. Re: Grasmere in winter

There's no problem in walking along Stock Lane, it has a pavement for pedestrians at the side, the walk from the centre of the village to Dove Cottage will take no more than 15 minutes.

If you can get a bus at just after 2pm, you can get to Grasmere, drop your bags and be at Dove Cottage by 3.15pm, giving you one hour 15 minutes till it closes.

There is a pavement alongside the main road beside Grasmere, the back road the other side of the lake doesn't have a pavement for walking, but the road there is very quiet with few cars.

Reply to: Grasmere in winter
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grasmere