We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entertaining kids in Coniston on a very chilly Saturday?

Which Coniston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
reviews: 3
Entertaining kids in Coniston on a very chilly Saturday?

The wife and little-uns (four years old and six months old) are coming to support me on the Conisiton 14 this weekend, but I'll be running for two hours, while they'll be stuck waiting in Coniston. The weather looks like zero degrees and snow, so what to do? Will a wander round the museum keep them occupied?

Thanks for any thoughts.

5 replies to this topic
Southport, United...
1. Re: Entertaining kids in Coniston on a very chilly Saturday?

How about a boat trip? www.conistonlaunch.co.uk under 5s are free.

Feed the ducks down on the lake? If my memory serves me correctly there's small children's play park on the way down to where the boats leave from. It's near the school. The Bluebird Cafe is down there as well and i think they have duck food.

Edited: 1:30 pm, March 20, 2013
Otley, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
reviews: 7
2. Re: Entertaining kids in Coniston on a very chilly Saturday?

Boat trip good on the steam gondola, could get off part way down the lake on the same side of the village and walk back, if you have papoose / back pack for the 6 mth old. There is a little playground on the road down to the launch. Will they have access to your car? Would they be willing to go further afield? A trip to Grizedale has a great play area, you could pick up a leaflet from the visitors centre and take one of the sculpture trails.

location location
Destination Expert
for Lake District
reviews: 51
3. Re: Entertaining kids in Coniston on a very chilly Saturday?

There is indeed a playground, actually two but I wonder if it will be too cold for the children.

There isn't really a huge amount indoors around there I'm afraid.

There is an indoor kids area in Ambleside but it'll be about 25-35 minutes away via the northeast side of Coniston.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 3
4. Re: Entertaining kids in Coniston on a very chilly Saturday?

Thanks all for the replies. Looks like the race has been postponed until October now anyway due to the snow - the second race cancellation I've had due to snow this year :( - but I may be looking for ways to entertain them in October instead!

@pepperwhitemini the plan was to come over from Ambleside (where we were due to be staying) to do the race! And because the roads and parking would have been closed or busy it seemed like finding something local to do would have been better. Oh well.

location location
Destination Expert
for Lake District
reviews: 51
5. Re: Entertaining kids in Coniston on a very chilly Saturday?

Ah!

Well the place in Ambleside is called Rufty Tufties. It's a reasonable size.

Reply to: Entertaining kids in Coniston on a very chilly Saturday?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Coniston
More Coniston Topics