We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

using cellphone as a GPS navigator

Winter Park, Florida
reviews: 10
using cellphone as a GPS navigator

Hi,

we are driving from London to Lake District through Peak District national park and Yorkshire Dale. Is the cellphone internet reliable to use the phone app maps or should we rent a GPS?

thank you

20 replies to this topic
Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
1. Re: using cellphone as a GPS navigator

You are going through rural areas, which generally have poor reception. However, navigation is not difficult.

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 20
2. Re: using cellphone as a GPS navigator

I've found Google maps on Android to be most accurate, even when I travel abroad. I use it most often, even in Ukraine. It even helped me find services, everything from supermarkets to a manicurist.

Disadvantage: it does not detect speed cameras. :-)

Edited: 12:09 am, August 12, 2014
reviews: 9
3. Re: using cellphone as a GPS navigator

If you use a "proper" GPS based app then there is no need for any data connection.

There are a few on the market including Navfree which as the name suggests is free. Plenty of other paid for alternatives.

Never had a need for speed camera warnings but many apps have this feature, sometimes at an extra cost.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
reviews: 16
4. Re: using cellphone as a GPS navigator

I just used the satnav on google maps for a recent series of journeys around England and Wales - on an iPhone 5c. So good that I'm selling my satnav ! Didn't need a data connection to work (just as well).

Mike

5. Re: using cellphone as a GPS navigator

"Didn't need a data connection to work "

Presumably you don't loaded the maps of the areas you required first to get round the lack of data connection problem?

Kingston-upon-Hull...
reviews: 72
6. Re: using cellphone as a GPS navigator

The main issue I have if using google maps on my samsung is the data charges. On along journey like that it can get through a big chunk of my monthly allowance, especially if I have it set to load satellite imagery, which is does pretty effectively even when the signal isnt constant.

There are not too many roads through the peak, and even less in the dales, so if you know your destinations, as mentioned before, its not easy to go wrong.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
7. Re: using cellphone as a GPS navigator

""Didn't need a data connection to work "

Presumably you don't loaded the maps of the areas you required first to get round the lack of data connection problem?"

I thought they were preloaded for the UK ? I certainly didn't do anything special and I still have half my data allowance for the month left with a week to go.

Mike

Edited: 2:48 am, August 12, 2014
8. Re: using cellphone as a GPS navigator

Google maps need data to work, unless you download them before hand (not my typo "don't loaded" above!)

No maps are preloaded on your device.

GPS apps require no data connection once they are installed on your device.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
9. Re: using cellphone as a GPS navigator

Fair enough. So how do you go about downloading the maps on the google maps app so that you don't need to use data ? I put in the route at home just before I left using wifi and pressed start. The instructions started, so I went to the car and set off. Did that constitute "loading maps" ? If I'd done this all without wifi, is that where the data usage would come in ?

Thanks

Mike

10. Re: using cellphone as a GPS navigator

Possibly. I sometimes use Google Maps when I do have a connection as I have never planned a route using it at home, but I must give it a go.

I use Navfree and my old Sat Nav has been sitting in a drawer for about three years now, unused.

Edited: 3:57 am, August 12, 2014
Reply to: using cellphone as a GPS navigator
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted