We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation: Manchester airport to lake district

Hong Kong, Hong Kong
reviews: 2
Transportation: Manchester airport to lake district

I'm going to lake district in early Jun and the hotel is located between Windermere and Bowness. We expect to arrive Manchester airport at 07:35. So my questions are:

1. Would the best choice be: take the direct train from the airport to Windermere (departs at 9:29 and arrives Windermere at 11:39). Then take a taxi/ bus? Or is there any better alternative?

2. If so, I would like to ask any big difference between standard class and 1st class?

3. How far to walk from Terminal 3 to the train station?

I'm looking for advices. Thank you very much!

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
reviews: 75
11. Re: Transportation: Manchester airport to lake district

Can't answer all your questions, but I can tell you that Virgin Trains look after you very well in first class. If the price of a first class ticket isn't hideously more expensive than cattle class, then I'd say it's well worth it.

Lake District...
reviews: 61
12. Re: Transportation: Manchester airport to lake district

Its the Trans-Penine trains which can be the real problem, as they get heavily used by peoplecommuting in/out of Manchester from the surrounding areas and in the evenings with people going into Manchester for a night out.

Prices seem to be £15 2nd class £28 1st class

You get free tea/coffee and biscuits in 1st class !

I do agree that the Virgin 1st Class service is good and with an Advance Ticket and a Railcard can be good value.

Edited: 3:12 pm, March 13, 2014
Hong Kong, Hong Kong
reviews: 2
13. Re: Transportation: Manchester airport to lake district

Thank you all!

14. Re: Transportation: Manchester airport to lake district

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 18, 2015