We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

beijing
reviews: 13
Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

We are first-timer to UK. With the limited annual leave, we plan the trip as:

- London 3 days, then rent a car

- Cotswold 2 days

- Lake District (based @ Keswick) 3 days

- Highlands + Edinburgh 6 days

- back to London through York in 2 days

We are considering the possibility to squeeze 1 more day for lake district.

1. drive back from Edinburgh-London in 1 day. Yet we need to drive above 400 miles / 7 hours in the day, and followed by an early flight (6am), we concern that will be challenging.

2. drop off the rental car in Edinburgh as one-way rental, take train back to London. Deducting fuel saving, pay more GBP80 on the cost.

We would like to listen to your suggestion: any big difference in the experience of lake district for 3 days or 4 days? We do know the longer the better, we also hope make the arrangement as reasonable as possible.

Thank you!

beijing
11. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

Hi NautiusMaximus, thanks for your suggestion. We will take train so that 1 day will be spared. Since it takes 5 hours drive from London to Keswick, we plan to split the drive in 2 days anyway (because we're new-comers to UK road system, don't want to drive too much in the first day). There are 3 options.

1. Cotswold 2D

2. Oxford 1D + Cotswold 1D

3. Cambridge 1D + York 1D

We tentatively decide on Cotswold 2D because these villages look so nice from googled pictures, and we thought small villages may be less tourist? It will be great if you give us some advice.

UK
reviews: 89
12. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

joeintheuk did have a little "smiley" at the end of his suggestion so I am not sure he was totally serious.

-----------

I was serious, but I suppose the point is, >> I << would drop one day out of Scotland but its up to the OP I don't know their likes and dislikes, hence the smiley.

I would say, being serious again , it seems very over ambitious to be visiting the isle of Skye just for a day, that's an awful lot of driving each way, if that was dropped that would release 3 days, of which easily 2 could be spent sightseeing in Scotland but less rushed and more time to stop and actually see places, and another on the way back via York, also giving more time in York.

But I'd also say, I think dropping the car off in Edinburgh and taking the train down isn't a bad plan either, there's not a lot to be said about the drive when it's being done in such a rush, there won't be much scenery to speak of as you'll have to stick to the motorways. I'd do that irrespective of dropping a day in Scotland.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 98
13. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

Depending on how long you want to spend in Oxford, you could visit Oxford on the way to the Cotswolds; park your car at a Park and Ride and catch the bus into and out of the city: parkandride.net/oxford/html/oxford_parkandri…

Then you could spend two nights in the Cotswolds. I think the Cotswolds are worth two nights. Then overnight in York on your way back from Edinburgh to London by train. If stopping in York, you need to book advance train tickets separately: Edinburgh to York; York to London.

If you're spending two nights on the Isle of Skye, you'll have enough time to drive around the island and do a hike (eg the Quiraing) and/or a boat trip (eg from Elgol to Loch Coruisk).

beijing
14. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

Hi joeintheuk, agree with you, it takes effort to arrive isle of syke, so we arrange 2 days there. We will choose train to save time and energy.

beijing
15. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

Hi SuzySey, thanks for the info! Do you think Glencoe need 1 whole day to visit around? We plan to drive Glen Etive and do some hike (Lochan Walk), we also have interest in Glen Navis to visit Steall Falls (plan half day for this), if we combine Glencoe+Steall Falls in one day, plus drive 2 hours in morning and 2 hours in late afternoon, is that feasible?

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
reviews: 75
16. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

Well, Oxford is a beautiful city, so if you wanted to stop there on your way from London to the Lakes, then you would certainly see something that's very different to the Lake District and, IMHO, well worth a visit. The only trouble is it's a lot nearer to London than it is to Keswick, so you'd still have a fair drive ahead of you. But easily do-able in a day. In fact if you set off from Oxford nice and early in the morning then you could be in the Lake District by lunchtime.

To be honest, if you're looking for advice on which specific bits of the Cotswolds to visit, you'll be better off posting in the Cotswolds forum.

location location
Destination Expert
for Lake District
reviews: 59
17. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

I think 3 days us fine for the Lakes.

There is a huge difference in the scenery between the Cotswolds and the Lake District though. One has amazing valleys, mountains and lakes. The other has beautiful rolling countryside with hedgerows and thatched cottages. Both are worth visiting. I would do 2 days Cots and 3 days lakes.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 98
18. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

fengzhisiyue, I think you should ask your question about Glencoe, Glen Etive and Steall Falls on the Scotland forum, so the local experts can advise you. I don't know how long these hikes will take, but others will. (By the way, it's Glen Nevis.) :)

beijing
19. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

Thank you all. We will check detailed arrangement for each part then.

20. Re: Should I squeeze 1 more day in lake district?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 20, 2014