We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couples weekend for first timers in Lake District - ideas!?

Which Lake District hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, England...
Couples weekend for first timers in Lake District - ideas!?

Hi all,

I plan to take my girlfriend away to the Lake District at the end of August for 2 nights. I plan on leaving very early Friday morning and aim to arrive at the hotel at around midday. And i plan to leave on Sunday at about midday.

Im not too fussy with classy boutique hotels and I think I will book up The Glen Rothay Hotel, Ambleside, as it seems cheap at £180 for 2 nights at the weekend (if anything is cheaper or better suited then please let me know)

We are two quite adventurous people, but doing something like this is completely new to us. I have been looking at doing the Treetop Trek (we are in our early 20's and it looks like my example of fun) and I think it will be nice to get a boat out.

I am just wondering what else there is to do there that may suit us, I am up for anything really. We should have almost two full days there and I plan on making it as fun packed with stuff as I can.

I would really appreciate some of your ideas, comments and recommendations as I really am clueless and would prefer to hear ideas from people who have been there, done it, bought the tshirt etc than Googling stuff.

Thanks very much guys,

Danny

London, England...
1. Re: Couples weekend for first timers in Lake District - ideas!?

oh and to add, hiking is not for us...well i like walking about across nice scenery, but we wont be investing in mountain boots and them ski-like poles lol.

Keswick, United...
reviews: 14
2. Re: Couples weekend for first timers in Lake District - ideas!?

Maybe the Via Ferrata at Honister,

Go Ape at Grizedale

Or pony trekking

honister-slate-mine.co.uk/via_ferrata_at_hon…

http://goape.co.uk/days-out/grizedale

London, England...
3. Re: Couples weekend for first timers in Lake District - ideas!?

Go Ape, that sounds like us :) i think that is a definate, thanks for that

bit unsure about the pony trekking though but thanks for the suggestions :D

Bedfordshire
reviews: 193
4. Re: Couples weekend for first timers in Lake District - ideas!?

We have been a few times....quad bikes and clay shooting would be good for you both to have a go and enjoy together. See link

www.holmescales.com/Clay_Pigeon_Shooting.htm

London
reviews: 31
5. Re: Couples weekend for first timers in Lake District - ideas!?

Everything you could possibly want to know about the Lake District:

www.golakes.co.uk

The Lakes has a very good bus network; take time also just to relax and enjoy the scenery, otherwise you will miss the best 'attraction' of all.

London, England...
6. Re: Couples weekend for first timers in Lake District - ideas!?

thanks guys...i have booked the hotel in Ambelside for 2 nights and will be doing the Go Ape on Saturday afternoon. Quad bikes and clay pigeon shooting seems fun but its a bit expensive.

I think I want to perhaps rent a boat out for a few hours on one of the days but not sure on a good company or where exactly to do this.

thanks for golakes link, its a good site

Windermere
reviews: 37
7. Re: Couples weekend for first timers in Lake District - ideas!?

You could try riding through the Graythwaite Estate on Segways. It's on our list of things to do and looks like great fun with full tuition provided. The reviews on Trip Advisor look good.

It's situated at the southern end of Windermere (Lake).

Windermere
reviews: 37
8. Re: Couples weekend for first timers in Lake District - ideas!?

The Low Wood Hotel (part of the English Lakes Hotel Group)l near Ambleside has a watersports centre where you can hire kayaks, motor boats etc. You could walk the 1 mile from Ambleside or take the car as free parking is available.

If you wanted a bit of adventure you could hire a double sit on top kayak from the hire place near to Ferry Nab (where the car ferry crosses the lake). From this part of the lake it is possible to paddle to one of the islands and have a picnic. Just make sure you don't aim for the biggest island as it's private!

Keswick, United...
9. Re: Couples weekend for first timers in Lake District - ideas!?

I would suggest Derwentwater at Keswick for boats, the lake is surrounded by mountains and very scenic. There are islands you can stop and picnic on.

For the main launch or if you'd rather hire rowing or self-drive motor boats:

http://www.keswick-launch.co.uk/

Other places to hire boats are:

derwentwatermarina.co.uk/content/view/17/35/

keswickcanoeandbushcraft.co.uk/canoe-hire/

www.nicholendmarine.co.uk/activities.php

High Wycombe...
reviews: 21
10. Re: Couples weekend for first timers in Lake District - ideas!?

We had a lovely weekend over Easter staying in Ambleside.

Perhaps not that adventurous however for a nice mix of the lake and scenery I would suggest you do the Cruise/Walk tour around the lake. It consists of a 15 minute cruse from Ambleside to Wray castle Jetty. You then take an easy well signposted 4 mile (or so) walk on the left bank of the Lake to the Ferry House. The scenery and views of the lake are magnificent on the Walk. You then catch the boat to Bowness which is a pretty little town/village on the right bank of the Lake. Lots of restaurants to have lunch/coffee/cakes/pub and do a bit of shopping. Then catch the boat back to Ambleside. A day ticket is £9 so pretty reasonable and pretty much fills a whole day.

Link to the boat with more info: windermere-lakecruises.co.uk/…

Edited: 6:21 am, July 25, 2012