We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildcamping with Motorhome

Eastham, United...
Wildcamping with Motorhome

I was wondering if anyone has ever done wild camping with a motorhome in the Lakes, and if so were you ok to stay there (ie didn't get moved by the police at 3 in the morning)?

Planning to go in March 2012 also the same for Southern Ireland (eire) in June Thanx

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
1. Re: Wildcamping with Motorhome

The Lake District National Park don't like it because of the amount of rubbish that is created. They can be pretty vigorous in moving people on.

Glasgow, United...
2. Re: Wildcamping with Motorhome

Hi, have a look at this site: lake-district.gov.uk/index/…wildcamping.htm

As alanrow says The Lake District National Park dont like it, but you just take that chance ie car parks laybyes as long as you leave it tidy, your road tax says you can, unless otherwise stated. It works for me. Never have this problem in europe. Cheers Andy.

Eastham, United...
3. Re: Wildcamping with Motorhome

I take it alanrow is quite happy to give motorhomers a bad name!

I wasnt looking for negative answers just helpful ones please. I know all the downfalls been doing this for years! Motorhomers are respectable people. Thanx Vic

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
4. Re: Wildcamping with Motorhome

What was negative about saying it isn't allowed? Why do you think they don't allow it? Too many people aren't sensible and they do stupid things.

Eastham, United...
5. Re: Wildcamping with Motorhome

Thanx for the info Andy, will do.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
reviews: 16
6. Re: Wildcamping with Motorhome

National Trust wardens will move you on also. You may not realise you are on NT land

Glasgow, United...
7. Re: Wildcamping with Motorhome

www.wildcamping.co.uk

Campervans welcome in Hawick

The proposal to allow camper vans to stay overnight in the Common Haugh has been approved by local councillors.

www.motorhomefun.co.uk/wild-camping/

Wildcamping spots in England

Cheers Andy

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
8. Re: Wildcamping with Motorhome

<Campervans welcome in Hawick>

Hawick as in the Scottish Borders - which is 90 miles from the Lake District.

Eastham, United...
9. Re: Wildcamping with Motorhome

thanks i didn't know that!

But its the Scottish welcome that counts! are you sure your Scottish.

I have not received any negative feedback from the locals, only the tourists! Many thanks again.

reviews: 39
10. Re: Wildcamping with Motorhome

It's not negative to point out the law. In England wild camping is illegal (with the exception of 1 South Western Moor). In Scotland its legal. Massive difference.

Stick to a proper campsite like Langdale, and save the hassle. If you want to break the law you can hardly moan if someone enforces it.

There is a difference between a negative post, which none of the posts on this thread are, and simply one that isn't the answer you want

Edited: 2:55 am, January 27, 2012