We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mad going to lakes in January

West Midlands, UK
reviews: 12
Mad going to lakes in January

We are considering going away for a short break, perhaps 4 nights in late January. We've never visited the Lake District before and are looking into the possibility of renting a cottage.

Are we mad to consider doing this at this time of year? Obviously you can never predict what the weather is going to be like, but we enjoy walking, fresh air and just seeing new places. We also want somewhere to relax and chill out with a log fire of an evening.

Any suggestions would be great.

thanks

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
reviews: 52
1. Re: Mad going to lakes in January

You are not mad at all. I'd be there like a shot given half a chance. Think of the advantages of a winter break -

1) Avoid the crowds

2) Manage to get a table at all the restaurants you want

3) The views in the winter are often much better, simply because the leaves aren't on the trees.

4) A hard frost or snow makes everything magical

Disadvantages -

1) The weather, but that can be horrendous in the summer as well

2) Some places (such as National Trust properties) can be closed.

I love all of the Lakes but tend to avoid the Windermere area because it can be overly touristy. I know there are some Lake District experts on here (Captain Cumbria?) who could help you with location. (We take our caravan across when we visit).

A restaurant recommendation for you. If you stay anywhere near Ambleside, the Punchbowl Inn at Crosthwaite serves fabulous food. Certainly one of the best meals I have eaten in the Lakes. Their website is www.the-punchbowl.co.uk

I have never stayed there, but I read some reviews saying that their newly refurbished rooms are gorgeous - and they certainly look good in the pictures on the website.

M

West Midlands, UK
reviews: 12
2. Re: Mad going to lakes in January

thanks for your comments, everything you've said is true. I guess I'm just abit worried about getting snowed in!

English Lake...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Mad going to lakes in January

Morgana has summed things up pretty well (As usual). January and february are great times to visit the Lakes because it is so much quieter and you can then reap the benefits as mentioned , plus:

1.) Prices , cracking deals to be had on accomadation.

2.) Traffic , less of it so you can explore more in a relaxed manner and hence see more.

3.) Shopping , Tourist prices disappear like magic in the winter months. e.g I looked at a Berghaus jacket in Keswick in september which was £225 , today it is £99. Everything is cheaper when the weather is bad.Deals everywhere.

The weather is cold of that there is no doubt but a nice crisp day is superb for sightseeing , just keep off the passes and fell roads and you`ll be fine. The thing to always remember about the lakes is that the mountains/fells act like bad weather magnets , once the precipitation strikes it sticks to the fells and takes ages to shift so wise tourists will stay in the western lakes where the weather is better and it always clears up first.It can be torrential rain at Keswick and 15 miles away westwards a lovely sunny day . The prevailing winds are wet SW and so the western lakes will give you the best chance to avoid bad weather for longer. I`d stay around the Cockermouth/Bassenthwaite/Keswick area and enjoy your exploring to fit the weather. Loads of good accessible walks whatever the weather and Grasmere/Ambleside et al are only a 20 or 30 minute scenic drive away.

The choice of cottages is endless but somewhere like this would be ideal :

http://lakesnw.co.uk/hudcot/

Happy googling ! and enjoy your short break.

Halifax Yorkshire
reviews: 8
4. Re: Mad going to lakes in January

Go for it, the chance of been snowed in are very low, however if you were how lovely. Relax around log fires with hot chocolate yep bliss