We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel and area help

Kilmarnock
reviews: 3
Hotel and area help

Hi

I'm looking to take my wife away for a short break over Easter. Looking for some help with where to go and hotels to stay at. We live in Scotland and are looking to just jump into the car and drive somewhere so probably somewhere North to Central England so it's not too long a drive hence why I was thinking about the Lake District. Looking for a hotel with a pool and some kind of spa facilities and we love to eat out so somewhere with some excellent restaurants nearby. Totally flexible about area so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Martin

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
1. Re: Hotel and area help

Martin,

I haven't been to the Lakes for a couple of years - one thing that keeps me away is the difficulty in booking somewhere at Easter and Christmas.

A top-end place with spa might be easier, but still popular, so I would get your skates on. The De Vere group of hotels usually have good break packages and there are a couple in the North. (Slaley Hall, Cameron House (OK its in Scotland, but it's a ttypical example),

Otherwise - away from the Lakes, try the edge of the Pennines and North York Dales national park. Busy there, too, but not quite the honeypot that is the Lake District.

Peter

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
reviews: 52
2. Re: Hotel and area help

Hi

I was wondering about the Yorkshire Dales too. it's such a big area that you can easily avoid the crowds that will be around the Lakes at Easter. Don't get me wrong - I love the Lake District but I don't visit it at certain times of the year and Easter is one.

The problem with the lakes is that because of the geography of the area the network of roads means very slow traffic, jams, queues etc - just not nice!

if you are interested in the Dales please get back to me as I live locally and know them very well.

In the meantime you may want to look at the Devonshire Arms Hotel, beautifully situated (but not too remote) at Bolton Abbey. Pool, spa, great food and also within reach of other very good restaurants such as The Angel at Hetton, the Yorke Arms at Ramsgill (out of this world) and the Red Lion at Burnsall.

www.thedevonshirearms.co.uk

www.angelhetton.co.uk

www.yorke-arms.co.uk

www.redlion.co.uk

Kilmarnock
reviews: 3
3. Re: Hotel and area help

Hi

Yes I'm totally interested in the Yorkshire area. In fact it was my first choice but I was struggling to find something and found the Lakes forum here so thought i'd post. In fact - any area in North/Central England is fine.

Thanks

Martin