We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

living in Tunbridge Wells (ex-londoners' views welcome too!)

Which Royal Tunbridge Wells hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 13
living in Tunbridge Wells (ex-londoners' views welcome too!)

I've posted this in Kent forums, but not sure that it registered! I'd be very grateful for any info and opinions from residents of T.Wells, and the ex-londoners, on how life in the town compares to london living ( if you do have to travel to London a few times a week)! What are the pros and cons, practically speaking (service in shops, variety, cost of living - less than london?), people and demographic, are there social events/clubs or smth like that for prof. people, or is there no community as such? How crowded the town gets at the wekends? I love the way TW looks, and how it's being cared for by the residents, not easy to find a place lilke this not far fr London, but it's hard to see what's behind the scenes! thanks to anyone who can advise!

2 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 99
1. Re: living in Tunbridge Wells (ex-londoners' views welcome too!)

This is a travel related forum -not a relocation one so your post is likely to be removed !

I used to live in kent -Tunbridge Wells has I think gone "downhill" in the last 10 years -last time I was there the cinema and many shops -on the hill leading from the railway station- were boarded up

Suggest you book into a hotel in the area (hotel du vin ? ) for a weekend and see for yourself

Cost of living is the same as London - property prices are high

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
2. Re: living in Tunbridge Wells (ex-londoners' views welcome too!)

I lived in Tunbridge Wells for a while and in fact was there two weeks ago for a visit for the cricket week. The overall tone of the town is definitely higher end but there are some less desirable areas, as anywhere.

From the travel point of view, there are trains to London at least every 15 minutes weekdays and Saturdays, every half hour on Sundays so it is easy to do that journey. It is expensive of course and takes 45 - 60 minutes to get to Charing Cross.

I agree that the huge derelict site on Mount Pleasant (the former cinema and shopping parade) does nothing to enhance the place. However there is a thriving High Street with many independent and upmarket shops and a central modern shopping centre and a busy social scene. There are plenty of pubs still open and a good collection of other restaurants, bars and clubs.

The town does receive many tourists and they are well catered for.

There are tennis clubs, cricket clubs, hockey clubs, rugby in fact all sports.

Reply to: living in Tunbridge Wells (ex-londoners' views welcome too!)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Royal Tunbridge Wells