We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip bike rental

Which Canterbury hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Goose Creek, South...
Day trip bike rental

Hello everyone, my husband and I are going to visit for a day trip from London by train. We would love to rent bicycles and do a lovely trail ride that lasts most of the day. Does anyone have any bike rental company suggestions? Also, can someone recommend a trail route that includes some country side, sea side, and/or small quaint villages in between. Is there a circular route that is suggested? We would like to spend probably 4 or 5 hours riding the bikes, with enough time to have a sunset dinner in Canterbury before catching the train back to London. We will be in Canterbury Oct. 2nd and are also curious as how the weather has been lately, are heavy rains foreseen for this type of year ( I am aware that changes by the minute lol) Thank you for your help!

East Anglia
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
reviews: 52
1. Re: Day trip bike rental

Hi Crystal,

The link below gives one company who hire bikes and also can suggest routes. I have no idea how good or reliable they are.

http://www.kentcyclehire.com/

As for weather, your guess is as good as mine. You could look at BBC website a few days before.

Enjoy Kent

Bob

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
2. Re: Day trip bike rental

I was in Canterbury a couple of weeks ago and it rained hard almost every day and was freezing cold. Definitely not bike weather. It's very hard to say what it will be like and you can be in London and it's a nice day but 50 miles way in Canterbury it's blowing a gale and the rain coming in horizontal - which could well be the case near the coast.

Here's a good start for an off road ride

kent.gov.uk/leisure_and_culture/countryside_…

and there are others nearby listed in the left sidebar. I think you should be able to work a circular route from that list .

If the weather does get bad try to be somewhere near a railway station so you can put the bikes on a train to get back to Canterbury.

Edited: 4:35 am, September 24, 2013
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
reviews: 167
3. Re: Day trip bike rental

The two main leisure cycle routes from Canterbury are the Crab & Winkle Way to the coast at Whitstable (about 5 miles each way) or the Great Stour Way (3 miles each way) along the river to Chartham.

From Whitstable you could take the Oyster Bay Trail along the coast to Herne Bay (another 5 miles) or on further to Reculver (another 3 miles) if you want to extend your ride (or even further, at Reculver it becomes the Viking Coastal Trail on towards Minnis Bay and beyond).

After the unsettled weather in mid-Sept we're currently in a pleasant dry spell but forecasts aren't reliable over 3 days ahead so as suggested keep checking www.bbc.co.uk/weather

Edited: 2:31 pm, September 24, 2013
Great Yarmouth...
reviews: 58
4. Re: Day trip bike rental

I would recommend the Crab and Winkle Way too, but leave time once in Whitstable for a drink by the sea and a little bit of cycle exploring. Its about 7 miles one way and accessed easiest from Canterbury West Station which connects to either St Pancras or charing cross stations.

5. Re: Day trip bike rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 26, 2014