We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canterbury restaurant closures

Which Canterbury hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
reviews: 162
Canterbury restaurant closures

I thought starting this thread would be useful as there seems to have been a high turnover of restaurants and cafes recently with several closures.

Last week I noticed The Hutch was empty and "closed until further notice" but its website confirms it is no longer trading.

Manolis Taverna shut at the end of December & confirmed on its website.

Cucina Caraccio was taken over in December and reopened under a new name.

Ferns has expanded downstairs into the old Visitor Information Centre and is now called Number 12.

Thai Corner, The Farmhouse, Cafe Latria and Pastry Patisserie have all closed over the last few months and are still currently empty.

Off The Wall Cafe and The Terrace Cafe have both gone but at least new cafes have opened in their places, and Cafe Express is now a Chicken Cottage.

I will try to post updates here as although most of these have been removed from the listings, this process can take a while.

53 replies to this topic
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
reviews: 42
1. Re: Canterbury restaurant closures

What a shame to hear of so many restaurant closures in Canterbury, Bayboy, thanks for letting us know x

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
2. Re: Canterbury restaurant closures

We're not short of restaurants here (there's still a mind-boggling choice) but it's still really struck me how many have closed recently. I suppose it's the current economic climate. Still seeing new openings though, the last major one was Wildwood a couple of months back (taking over the old Little Italy) and a new cafe opened just today, so good luck to them!

Edited: 4:29 pm, February 13, 2013
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
3. Re: Canterbury restaurant closures

And also the time of year doesn't help, well, at least Easter is early this year. Good luck to the new places open from me also x

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
4. Re: Canterbury restaurant closures

The latest update for the benefit of anyone using the Canterbury restaurant listings is that Caffe Venezia is no more. The restaurant is undergoing complete refurbishment and due to reopen under a new name in May.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
5. Re: Canterbury restaurant closures

At least it's not going for good just getting a whole new look :) x

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
6. Re: Canterbury restaurant closures

I've noticed that the fairly new FA Restaurant is currently closed. According to a notice in the window this is due to problems with the electricity supply but it has been a whole month now and there are no signs of any progress.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
7. Re: Canterbury restaurant closures

A bit off topic, but is your avator from outside the Marlow theatre?

Thanks for the updates btw.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
8. Re: Canterbury restaurant closures

Yes that's right! Probably the best piece of public art in Canterbury. The good news is that the former Manolis Taverna and The Hutch premises are being fitted out for new restaurants and looking like they'll be opening soon. Also a third Canterbury branch of Subway has just opened in the former Thai Corner restaurant.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
9. Re: Canterbury restaurant closures

Thought I recognised it.

I guess subway is popular with students. On the subject of eateries I had a blast from the past when I visited a while back when I saw the three cooks bakery, but I think it was closed though.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
10. Re: Canterbury restaurant closures

Another unexpected closure at the weekend - Catch has shut its Canterbury branch.

Reply to: Canterbury restaurant closures
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted