We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant to take friends to?

Which Winchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
reviews: 56
Restaurant to take friends to?

We're coming for a stay in Winchester and some friends will be helping us out, taking us around, etc. We'd like to take them to dinner as a thanks. I'd ask them for a suggestion, but modesty might make them aim too low. Any restaurants you might suggest for a special dinner out would be welcome!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
reviews: 95
1. Re: Restaurant to take friends to?

A lot depends on your budget and taste, Winchester can cover most.

I haven't been myself yet but I have heard good things about the Chesil Rectory and the Old Vine is also good.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
reviews: 46
2. Re: Restaurant to take friends to?

I've been to the Chesil Rectory a couple of times. It's nice, but do allow a LOT of time! Not one if you're in a hurry.

Not been to the Old Vine, so can't comment on that. I've also eaten at the Sun pub because it's historic and allegedly haunted. Probably wouldn't class it as 'special' though.

UK
reviews: 54
3. Re: Restaurant to take friends to?

I've heard good reports of this Michelin starred restaurant:

http://theblackrat.co.uk/

Seattle
4. Re: Restaurant to take friends to?

Excellent suggestions. I don't know that we're in a hurry, and it's all right if it's a bit expensive as they are really helping out during our visit. Will check these three out, and thank you!

Haunted pub sounds fun for another time!

Kampala
Destination Expert
for Kampala
reviews: 73
5. Re: Restaurant to take friends to?

Well I had a great meal, and read similar good evening reviews of Froggie's Bar

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186300-d1…

which is very central.

You could also go to the King's Head in Hursley (about 5 miles outside Winchester), lovely old pub which was a coaching inn, with excellent food. I heard about the 2 mymsman mentions as well.

ASK Pasta is in a lovely old building, consistently good - but more of a chain.

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
reviews: 130
6. Re: Restaurant to take friends to?

We love the Kings Head at Hursley, we try to avoid Sat evenings as its too busy for us but a mid week evening is always so relaxing especially if its a rare warm night and the french doors are open.

www.kingsheadhursley.co.uk/evening.aspx

Seattle
7. Re: Restaurant to take friends to?

Thank you very much for these excellent suggestions, ShellyRM and KazpUk. I especially love the idea of dining with those French doors open. Will check these out!

Kampala
Destination Expert
for Kampala
reviews: 73
8. Re: Restaurant to take friends to?

Pleasure, thanks for the feedback. There is another option, of Lainston House Hotel, which you should look at, at least. You might like to go for Afternoon Tea there in any case?

But I would stick with your thoughts for dinner probably!

Enjoy Winchester, when are you there? They are having a giant screen in the Cathedral Square to watch the Olympics.

Seattle
9. Re: Restaurant to take friends to?

We'll miss the Olympics as we won't be there till late Sep-early October but I've heard that's a lovely time to visit!

Hampshire
reviews: 85
10. Re: Restaurant to take friends to?

Shelly Im not sure when you last visited lainston house but I'm afraid the excellent standard has slipped! Having recommended afternoon tea I took a group of three friends and was totally embarrassed at the poor service and mediocre tea. However it is in a beautiful location and worth a trip around.