We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire at Southampton Dock

Which Southampton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 3
Car hire at Southampton Dock

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a car hire comapny that operates from Southampton Dock?

We would like to hire a car after our QE2 cruise...drive it around Cornwall & Wales for 10 days and then drop it back to Heathrow Airport?

Cheers Gayle

7 replies to this topic
South Australia
reviews: 12
1. Re: Car hire at Southampton Dock

Car rental www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.viamichelin.com www.theaa.com

Accommodation www.wotif.com www.venere.com www.bedandbreakfastnationwide.com

www.visitbritain.com

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
reviews: 119
2. Re: Car hire at Southampton Dock

We've recently used Enterprise who are based at the docks in Herbert Walker Avenue. They provided a great service from start to finish.

enterprise.co.uk/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do…

Stuck in North Texas
reviews: 22
3. Re: Car hire at Southampton Dock

Reading the fine print:

Did you have to do a 200 pound deposit (besides the total rental cost) when yo picked up the vehicle?

And do you remember what the normal business hours are? I got a statement (in red) about coming early for the reg business hours, but I was coming at 8:00 AM so that didn't make sense, unless the business hours were AFTER 8:00 AM. A little confusing.

Thanks for your help.

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
reviews: 119
4. Re: Car hire at Southampton Dock

Normal business hours are usually 9 - 6. An email to the hire companies with queries and questions would give you the information you need such as staff coming in earlier than usual and insurance/deposit costs, how they operate over weekends etc. I know when we hire abroad that the companies we used there answered several emails from me as I ploughed through the small print which made things so much clearer.

London, England
reviews: 4
5. Re: Car hire at Southampton Dock

Yet again more useless spam for a TP booking agent from Nurioopta.

It's rarely beneficial to book via an agent as you can get the same prices going direct.

Opening hours for car hire firms during the week tends to be 8am, but at weekends the opening tends to be 9am. Plus only half day on a Saturday, and closed on Sunday.

Ensure you have a separate policy to cover the excess (£500 - £1,000) prior to hire otherwise the cost of this via the hire company will be between £10 - £15.

Your target rental price for a Ford Focus/ VW Golf should be in the region of £13 - £25 a day.

Raleigh, North...
6. Re: Car hire at Southampton Dock

I can strongly recommend that you NOT use Enterprise at the Southampton docks. We had to fight them for over a month to get a refund as they charged us £150 to replace a GPS (SATNAV) which did not work properly. We were accused of breaking the unit when in fact it was defective when rented to us. We got the impression that since they knew we were from the US, we would simply pay them and go on our merry way. Had we not contacted the regional office, we would not have gotten our refund. In addition, they charged us an additional days rental fee because we checked in at 0930 - 15 minutes later than the original pickup time. The fact that we waited in line to be checked it was not important to them. Finally, when we called them from the ocean terminal to ask them to pick us up, they had no one available and told us to take a cab!

Edited: 10:41 am, December 22, 2012
7. Re: Car hire at Southampton Dock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, September 10, 2013

Reply to: Car hire at Southampton Dock
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted