We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location for 3 nights with no car in Sept.

Which Southampton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stuck in North Texas
reviews: 25
Best location for 3 nights with no car in Sept.

I think the subject said it all! We want to be close to the train or bus and pop into London one day and maybe Portsmouth one day. We prefer small places with breakfast included (100 pounds max) and not many stairs. (Old budget travelers here!)

Surrey UK
reviews: 4
1. Re: Best location for 3 nights with no car in Sept.

Try this website which gives some options and a helpful map.

londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommo…

The hotels quoted are all the product of fairly recent redevelopment so they're modern and not really small, but those marked 1-5 are the closest to both the railway station and the coach (=long-distance bus) station - all within walking distance. If you want something older, you could look at the Mercure Dolphin or the Star, but both are a bit further than I'd want to walk. An alternative is the Southampton Park, built in the 1950s. Do check reviews in the TA hotel section.

The train is quickest to Portsmouth as well as London. Timetables on southwesttrains.co.uk.

Stuck in North Texas
2. Re: Best location for 3 nights with no car in Sept.

papluviose,

this is a gem! Thanks so much for the link and comments.

Just what I needed!

UK
reviews: 1
3. Re: Best location for 3 nights with no car in Sept.

How about these two places, as they seem to fit in with your requirements of small and not overly expensive.

http://www.whitestartavern.co.uk/

or

http://www.cargosouthampton.com/

My preference would be the White Star Tavern, which is a very smart place with a good reputation.

Both are in Oxford Street in the heart of Old Southampton and on a road that has a number of good restaurants/bars. Easy to walk to various historical places in the town and a cheap taxi ride to the train station (approx £5).

Stuck in North Texas
4. Re: Best location for 3 nights with no car in Sept.

Hi Steve,

I had just taken a look at the White Stag and for a regular double (not the 4x6 or the King) it was about 125 pounds not including breakfast. Is that about the norm?

I'll take a look at the other one now.

Thanks!

UK
reviews: 1
5. Re: Best location for 3 nights with no car in Sept.

Sorry if I've given you a bum steer on this one, I was just going on the rates on their site (I've only eaten and drunk in these places as live just around the corner).

I'm just not a fan of big chain hotels and find them bland and uninspiring and thought these two (plus the Dolphin Hotel) provide you with something different.

Hope you can get something in your budget.

Stuck in North Texas
6. Re: Best location for 3 nights with no car in Sept.

Hey Steve,

No problem; I appreciate the replies and the suggestions. Always a bit of a prob with no car. But I think we're going to stay at the Mayfair Guest House - can walk to the train but will have to take a cab downtown to find pubs/restaurants.

Now my quest is to find a fair/festival in that area the last week of September!

7. Re: Best location for 3 nights with no car in Sept.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:41 am, November 28, 2010