We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

watch ships sail past

Which Portsmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 19
watch ships sail past

I'm going to Portsmouth for the weekend and last time we went we saw ships sail past extremely close to us. I can remember we were in a pub garden but can't remember where. Can somebody remind me please

Essex
reviews: 71
1. Re: watch ships sail past

Could it have been "The Still and West" or "The Spice Island Inn"

both in Old Portsmouth??

www.pubsofoldportsmouth.co.uk/the%20pubs.htm

Portsmouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Portsmouth
reviews: 25
2. Re: watch ships sail past

hi, check this link,

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?cid=4017342049512933887&q=The+Still+and+West&hl=en&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=11.123167,26.411133&ie=UTF8&ll=58.995311,-17.270508&spn=0,0&t=h&z=5

florida
reviews: 137
3. Re: watch ships sail past

Trying to find interesting places to have a drink or dinner while in your village for two days. The reviews are not that great but for a drink sounds ok. Portsmouth Dave, my husband booked Kempels for location, location and location. Is it really that bad as the reviews?

Portsmouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Portsmouth
reviews: 25
4. Re: watch ships sail past

Hi , I love the term village, (The City of Portsmouth has a population of 207,100 and is the only city in England with a greater population density (4,639 /km2 (12,010 /sq mi)) than London )

The Keppels head (Built in 1779) is in a good location for tourists, I have never stayed there so cannot personaly comment on how good it is, But in my taxi driving duties when picking people up from there, its been a mixed bag of comments, but mostly okand around 80% of people I have asked said they would return..

The Still and West" or "The Spice Island Inn" as mentioned above in the oldest parts of Portsmouth, or gunwharf quays www.gunwharf-quays.com across the road from the hotel.

A morning trip to Portchester Castle (originally built in the late 3rd century)with fish & chips in Mother kellys on the way back. What about a nice Indian meal at Bombay Bay @ Southsea Marina which overlooks Langstone Harbour.

If you need help with transport or sight seeing drop me a PM and I'll only be to happy and try and help.

Basingstoke, United...
reviews: 112
5. Re: watch ships sail past

If you are at Gunwharf Quays you may see ships (liners) briefly - but don't blink or you will miss them!

Essex
6. Re: watch ships sail past

Perhaps flpab is using the word "village" with the French meaning??

Bucks, UK
reviews: 11
7. Re: watch ships sail past

I've never seen it used in French to mean anything other than "village".

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
reviews: 148
8. Re: watch ships sail past

Guess if you live in a country where areas are huge then our cities will feel like villages :)

The best views of ships I have seen have been out on the water but more luck than judgement if your Isle of Wight Ferry or French ferry comes across them...spent one whole trip to France and only saw container ships!

I quite like sitting at Gunwharf watching all the little boats going up and down with the general ferry traffic and the odd naval craft, all the better if its a nice sunny day and I have a glass of wine in my hand.

Essex
9. Re: watch ships sail past

Oh dear, my French teachers must not have been that great then.

In French, the word 'village' always meant a TOWN as I was lead to understand it........... :-(

florida
reviews: 137
10. Re: watch ships sail past

ok, I have been looking at all the pictures of the old area and didn't know it was that big. My husband is retired Navy and he really wants to go see all the Naval History. We arrive on the ferry from Caen and spend two nights before heading to London. I live on the East Coast of Florida so we have towns and cities. We are really looking forward to seeing Portsmouth and thank you for the suggestions.