We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best base to travel from: Portsmouth or Southampton?

Which Portsmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glendale, Arizona
reviews: 1
Best base to travel from: Portsmouth or Southampton?

I am planning an itinerary for a group of travelers interested in the literary areas of Hampshire and also naval history.

Which would be a better base to travel from Southampton or Portsmouth.

This is my general idea of what to see and do. We would travel from London to either Southampton or Portsmouth. Would it be feasible to stop at Jane Austen's Chawton House and Wincester on the way? Or would it be better to drive directly and visit those two places, plus Stonehenge when we go to Bath?

We would visit all the highlights of Portsmouth, ie the Mary Rose, HMS Victory, and Charles Dicken's birthplace.

The New Forest sounds like a very interesting place to visit also. Would that be a nice place to visit on the first day enroute to either of two cities?

Which place would be the most reasonable and senisble place to stay for a couple of nights before heading to Bath?

Thanks in advance.

Portsmouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Portsmouth
reviews: 25
1. Re: Best base to travel from: Portsmouth or Southampton?

Hi, There are many ways of doing this.

You could come from London, and go to visit Chawton House then drop down into Wincester for the afternoon. Then head for Portsmouth for the first night for an early start. (40 min drive from Winchester)

Do your Portsmouth site seeing and stay the night, then head to the new forest for lunch in say Lyndhurst,(45min drive) after head for Stonehenge for the afternoon (55mins drive) then you could leave for Bath (1h to 1h 20 depending on traffic).

What do you want to see in the New Forest?

A cheap hotel in Portsmouth is the new Etap hotel, basic but only £35 a night for up to 3 people in a room. If you do decide to stay in Portsmouth let me know what sort of buget you have and i will recomend some where central and nice to stay.

Hope this helps a little, i'm sure someone else will come up with another idea for you.

Dave

Portsmouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Portsmouth
reviews: 25
2. Re: Best base to travel from: Portsmouth or Southampton?

Sorry forgot to ask,

I take it you in a car of some sorts?

Portsmouth
3. Re: Best base to travel from: Portsmouth or Southampton?

Southampton is geographically nearer than Portsmouth to many of the places you want to visit, so it may be slightly more convenient to be based there,

However..

There is far more to see and do in Portsmouth and if you can get a room by the sea, in one of the many B&Bs, or one of them chain hotels like Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express or Premier Inn then I would recommend that. If you are visiting in summer and the weather is good then there will be some fine evening strolls you can take along the sea in Old Portsmouth, Gunwharf Quays and Southsea. There will be far more things to see of interest to tourists and travellers than the waterfront in Southampton.

southern england
reviews: 31
4. Re: Best base to travel from: Portsmouth or Southampton?

you can easily do stonehenge ( and would suggest also avebury , to see the stone circle ) and travel onto bath.winchester is a half day visit to see the cathedral and other sights.so combine with a half day trip to new forest,as it is close. take a look at 'bucklers hard ' a good 2 hour trip and near to beaulieu which is also worth a visit.

portsmouth historic dockyard has plenty to offer and charles dickens birthplace could be comdined with a trip to fort nelson or portchester castle.

where to stay depends on your budget , there is a travel lodge near the end of the m275 which is ok.

5. Re: Best base to travel from: Portsmouth or Southampton?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, October 19, 2009