We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport and cycle hire

London, United...
reviews: 4
Public transport and cycle hire

Hello all

I will be visiting the coastal area this bank holiday weekend for 3 days (Sat - Mon). I've bought the ticket to Darsham but haven't booked accommodation yet. I'm hoping to visit Southwold, Dunwich, Minsmere, Aldeburgh and Thorpeness but not sure about the logistic since I will be relying on the public transport or cycling/walking.

- I'm aware of the CoastLink bus service that can pick me up from Darsham. Does anyone know if they will take me from the coast (Minsmere say) back to Darsham/Leison?

- I'm thinking of staying in Blaxhall YHA. I guess there is no Sunday bus services nor Bank holiday services to anywhere? If I hire a bike, is there cycle path to the attractions (Minsmere, Thorpeness) or is it too far to cycle?

- Should I stay in Darsham or other suggestion?

- If I go visit Southwold/Walberswick on Saturday, how do I get back to Blaxhall? The buses stop running quite early, don't they?

Any suggestion is much appreciated!

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 25
1. Re: Public transport and cycle hire

For buses, try here:

http://www.suffolkonboard.com/timetables_leaflets/timetables_by_area/(offset)/5

but be warned, it takes a bit of trawling to find what you want. And I doubt there is much in the way of weekend services

Personally I'd be hiring a bike and cycling - you're not talking about a massive area and it's great cycling country, plus you won't have any parking/parking charge hassles if you do that. And you'll keep fit, and have flexibility in your intinerary. And you can do things like take the ferry from Walberswick to Southwold

There's a bike hire place in Darsham village as it happens: http://www.bywaysbicycles.co.uk/hire.htm

but I'd give them a ring in advance and make sure I had a bike teed up. It doesn't look like a big operation.

I don't know about accommodation. Blaxhall is a bit out of the way. If you're on a budget then you'll need to look at cheaper B&Bs, I *guess* you could take a chance but it's bank holiday so it's not going to be quiet. If I was young and on my own I'd chance it, with a family (or partner who wouldn't shut up if it didn't work out ;-) ), no way.

If you're really struggling to find somewhere to stay, head for somewhere unfashionable (ie not Aldeburgh or Southwold) - towns and villages slightly inland will probably be easier to find places to stay in

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
reviews: 3
2. Re: Public transport and cycle hire

Looking at the CoastLink Leaflet on the web (suffolkcoastandheaths.org/uploads/CoastlinkL…), it appears that the answer to your first question is yes, but best ring and book it ASAP as it could be busy over the weekend.

The only proper bus service that I am aware of through Blaxhall is the 165 - see anglianbus.co.uk/media/…165.pdf - which does not run on Sundays or public hols. However there is also a demand responsive service that may be of use - see suffolkonboard.com/suffolk_links_demand_resp… .

Phil-the-Bus

3. Re: Public transport and cycle hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 23, 2013