We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drinking on board

fraserburgh
reviews: 3
drinking on board

hi whats the law on drinking and cruising on the broads

6 replies to this topic
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
reviews: 8
1. Re: drinking on board

Same as drink driving, dangerous and stupid.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 1
2. Re: drinking on board

"Same as drink driving, dangerous and stupid."

Drink driving is regarded as an abomination whereas drinking while on the broads has a more relaxed approach it seems.

But for clarification broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_fi…

"A person shall not navigate a vessel whilst under the influence

of drink or drugs to such an extent as to be incapable of taking

proper control of the vessel."

Edited: 2:34 pm, May 08, 2014
Great Yarmouth...
reviews: 58
3. Re: drinking on board

Best not to navigate under the influence. Advice from Norfolk Broadsbeat here.

…police.uk/safetyadvice/broadsbeat1.aspx

However, there are countless pubs on the Broads which all rely on the tourist trade for survival. So moor up, enjoy a meal and a drink with them and retire to your boat as merry as you like, just don't move till morning!

Stowmarket, United...
reviews: 22
4. Re: drinking on board

Most people will drink whilst enjoying the sun and cruising.

The main issue really is your own safety! Too much alcohol and walking around your boat, stepping to shore or walking on the bank can be very dangerous. The currents can be strong.

A few years ago someone I new, moored at great yarmouth, went out for the evening, got a bit drunk, slipped when boarding her boat. She got swept down by the currents and lost her life.

Be sensible at all time, especially when nearer the tidal sections towards lowestoft and gt yarmouth.

I have often had a cold beer when in charge of a boat, but no more than a couple.

You are more likely to be stop for speeding by broads authority (boat with flashing blue light on to) or a speed radar trap! I was told off for doing 5mph in a 4mph limit!

FYI the wash from the boats increases with speed and damages banks.

fraserburgh
reviews: 3
5. Re: drinking on board

hi thanks for the replys have been to the broads many times late seventys early eightys just that i heard rumors of the police using breathalysers

UK
reviews: 196
6. Re: drinking on board

Please don't try drink driving a boat, it's dangerous it could put other people's lives at risk and I agree it's stupid, it's almost the same with drink driving a car, if you are too drunk to drive, get a taxi or bus but don't drive, and with boats if you can just stay moored where you are until you feel sober enough to drive the boat again.

Reply to: drinking on board
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted