We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norfolk with elderly in-laws

Which Norfolk hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
london
reviews: 18
Norfolk with elderly in-laws

Hi all,

can anyone help. We want to take my in-laws away for a few days in July/August, and thought Norfolk may be suitable as I'm guessing it's not too hilly. Father in law is in a wheelchair, so we'd need to find suitable accommodation. He likes gardens, so we'd like to go somewhere where there are activities for older couple, plus beach and other attractions for me and hubby, (40-50ish). We'd like good selection of pubs and decent restaurants. Any recommendations, please.

Kinny

Essex
reviews: 71
1. Re: Norfolk with elderly in-laws

Here's a list of gardens to visit, in Norfolk, to get you started...

gardenvisit.com/gardens/in/england/norfolk

Norfolk has "gently rolling" countryside, it is not dead flat.

Will think about where could be good for someone in a wheelchair, and post back...

In the mean-time here are some links....

visitnorfolk.co.uk/Info-Accessible-Norfolk.a…

accessiblecountryside.org.uk/east/norfolk/

disabledholidaydirectory.co.uk/search/…

london
reviews: 18
2. Re: Norfolk with elderly in-laws

Hi,

thanks for replying to speedily. I'll check out the links....

Kinny

Essex
3. Re: Norfolk with elderly in-laws

I also found this

disabledholidayinfo.org.uk/documents/EastEng…

I am thinking that, although it is not very "beachy" Kings Lynn is a nice interesting town to stay at.

Great Yarmoth has a long flat promenade that all can enjoy, and plenty going on, but it has its fans and detractors.

Aldeburgh is quieter, pretty and relatively flat, but can be expensive.

Southwold is a bit "undulating" but very attractive.

Sherringham has cliffs, so maybe that is out....

If you want to stay in a place with plenty going on, then Potters is a fun place, for a few days and I have definitely seen people with wheelchairs there...

pottersholidays.com/resort-information/speci…

Essex
4. Re: Norfolk with elderly in-laws

On the "places with entertainment and activities" front, then Warners, being child-free, might suit you better, and IME of their place on Hayling Island (Lakeside), definitely cater to the more senior traveller....

This one is in Suffolk though

warnerleisurehotels.co.uk/hotels/…

warnerleisurehotels.co.uk/faqs/…a9

Edited: 7:47 am, June 23, 2013
UK
reviews: 171
5. Re: Norfolk with elderly in-laws

The area around Cromer is nice, at least one hotel can provide rooms near the lift but Hunstanton is a little hilly but flat promenade, good disabled access but Holkham Hall, may be good for nice garderns to walk in and what about Saindringham, it's reachable on an hourly low floor bus from Kings Lynn and Hunstanton if needed.

I wouldn't recommend Brancaster beach due to rough ground, I've struggled so a wheelchair user might find it even more difficult, The Ship Hotel, has nice easy access into the resturant itself and as of last year did verty good food and that's in Brancaster.

One thing Hunstanton does have is a ten pin bowling alley but I wil put my hands up, there is a small lip up to the ramp for the lift there, it is accessible but I did mention this last year as a potential trip hazard so my hope is they'll have fixed it or found some kind of improvement solutiion.

Now, on the other hand L;owestoft is flat, and and easy to get around, not sure if your relatives would be interested but there is the East Anglian Tourist information a short distance away, and that's flat access but Great Yaymouth is good for flat and easy access and has most flat access to shops, but there might be a flew issues around Palmers, from previous experience.

I hope this helps a bit

Harrogate
reviews: 28
6. Re: Norfolk with elderly in-laws

In terms of accommodation you might think try talking to Park Farm Hotel at Hethersett just outside Norwich. I think that the place would be pretty wheelchair friendly and the food and service is always first rate.

7. Re: Norfolk with elderly in-laws

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 26, 2014