We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on a weeks holiday in Norfolk

UK
reviews: 2
Advice on a weeks holiday in Norfolk

Hi,

I would like some advice on where would be a good base for a week's holiday in Norfolk.

We like walking and cycling and will be taking our bikes so we can explore the local areas.

We would like to stay in a village / small town (on the coast or inland, we don't mind) and to be within half a mile or a mile walking distance of a good pub or two.

We have had a look at cottages in Holt, which look lovely but quite pricey.

Any other suggestion would be greatfully recommended.

Thanks

Carla

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
reviews: 34
1. Re: Advice on a weeks holiday in Norfolk

I'm afraid you will have to accept that North Norfolk is very popular for the discerning holiday maker, since there's an almost total absence of fun fair and amusement arcades, and hence is on the expensive side for accommodation and eating out. Personally I would recommend somewhere on the route of the Coasthopper bus (www.coasthopper.co.uk) which runs a half hourly service every day throughout the summer, and parallels the route of theNorfolk Coast path from Hunstanton to Cromer. There are even signs on the bus stops directing you to the path. So you can give the car a rest if you wish. Holt is great, but not on the bus route or the coast. Try looking at places such as Blakeney, Wells next the Sea, Burnham Market and Brancaster for a start.

Southampton
reviews: 24
2. Re: Advice on a weeks holiday in Norfolk

Wells is my favourite but all the places listed above are nice.

Norwich, United...
reviews: 14
3. Re: Advice on a weeks holiday in Norfolk

North Norfolk is great but personally I would choose the village of Horsey, north of Yarmouth. Pretty village, a fantastic beach at Horsey Gap where you will find a seal colony, interesting villages and the Broads nearby and one of my favourite pubs, the Nelson.

Stowmarket, United...
reviews: 20
4. Re: Advice on a weeks holiday in Norfolk

I would second above Horsey is great, you have the coast to explore, the broads and some lovely villages.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
reviews: 34
5. Re: Advice on a weeks holiday in Norfolk

Horsey is great, but it is a very small village with few facilities, just one pub, and not much in the way of transport links. Nothing to match the Norfolk Coast path and the Coasthopper bus service. Seals can often be seen at Wells (saw three there today) and Brancater. And the bird life along the north Norfolk coast is much better. Rare birds like Marsh and Montague's Harrier can be seen and there is a RSPB reserve at Titchwell. If that's not enough, there are preserved railways at Wells and Sheringham. I could go on, but the choice is yours.

Norwich, United...
reviews: 14
6. Re: Advice on a weeks holiday in Norfolk

I'm not sure that Carla 01 is a birdspotter and they are taking bikes so public transport is not a priority. Around Horsey there are some great walks quiet lanes for cycling and the area is a little more off the beaten track than the rather trendy area of North Norfolk and all the better for it.

Norfolk
reviews: 40
7. Re: Advice on a weeks holiday in Norfolk

Hi

Holt is a lovely small Georgian town which you should visit but can be very busy. if you do stay there make sure that you get something with parking because parking is at a premium. Wells is definitely lovely with the added bonus of obviously being by the sea, think you have more choice here. We regularly see seals here on the beach. Wareham is a small village on the way to wells which hasn't got a shop, that I can see but has a very quirky pub. Somewhere like Weybourne can be nice, although a little bit more isolated but there is a good pub there and a restaurant, Cley is good, although quite busy so parking space a must. North Norfolk is just brill, love it to bits.

8. Re: Advice on a weeks holiday in Norfolk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, May 29, 2014