We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No trains between Exeter and Penzance plus issues near Weymo

Which Dorset hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 168
No trains between Exeter and Penzance plus issues near Weymo

Due to the severe weather the ground beneath the train track at Dawlish has been quite literally washed away as well as part of the train line and as such according to the person responsible from network rail on bbc news the line is likely to be out of action for at least 6 weeks.

Also there has been a similar situation near Weymouth also mentioned on the news so if you are travelling in the area check with your train company and allow a lot more time for your journey as there's likely to be replacement buses and coaches which also may struggle in the way the area is getting hit down there. If travel to that area isn't essential I would recommend making alternative arrangements.

2 replies to this topic
Exeter, UK
reviews: 25
1. Re: No trains between Exeter and Penzance plus issues near Weymo

Sorry JD, but for many of us working in tourism in the West Country it is very much business as usual, and we can do without sweeping and ill-informed posts such as yours ('If travel to that area isn't essential I would recommend making alternative arrangements').

Sure, there are parts of the West Country where you may not want to go in the next few days, but there are many more where we welcome guests and give them what they are looking for. And if you are a local (are you?), then you should know two things:

1. people in this part of the world are very good at getting on with things, clean up, and move on

2. weather changes massively from one day to the next: what may look like monsoon conditions today, can be blue skies and sunshine the next

I am sure your post was well-intended, but tourism in the West Country is working hard to battle the negative news seen almost daily (i.e. Somerset levels), and the message that goes with that ('don't go there'). This is already stopping people from booking February Half Term breaks in parts of this area totally unaffected.

Not what we need!

Weymouth, Dorset, UK
reviews: 46
2. Re: No trains between Exeter and Penzance plus issues near Weymo

I agree with you travel happy. As far as I know trains are running ok at the moment here; but it does change on a daily basis. Most of us are able to get around fine here in Weymouth, - a few issues on Portland - but again not every day. We would welcome any tourists that wish to visit and theres plenty to do in the surrounding areas -including watching the high waves (from a safe distance of course)

Reply to: No trains between Exeter and Penzance plus issues near Weymo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted