We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dartmouth or Kingswear plus Ferry back and forth.

Which Dartmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
reviews: 77
Dartmouth or Kingswear plus Ferry back and forth.

Just wondering which would be the best place to rent. Dartmouth or Kingswear? I will have a car so I will need good parking. How much does the ferry cost per crossing per person?

France
reviews: 21
1. Re: Dartmouth or Kingswear plus Ferry back and forth.

Dartmouth is the place to stay in terms of the pubs, shops and restaurants all being there. Kingswear is more residential although do hop on the ferry to enjoy the steam trains or the walks.

The lower ferry is £4 for a car (£6 return) and £1.10 for foot passengers. The passenger ferry is £1.50 per crossing but you can buy a book of 20 tickets on board for £10 (ie, 50p per crossing). The ferries run from early morning until nearly midnight.

Parking on either side is a bit of a nightmare, even in January so make sure that you find a rental that either has off-street parking or provides a pass for the local car-parks. Otherwise it gets to be expensive. If you want to PM me before you book I might be able to advise better on what the parking will be like in that area.

Kingswear has 3 pubs and one bistro so choice is limited.

Edited: 8:22 am, January 22, 2012
Warwickshire
reviews: 181
2. Re: Dartmouth or Kingswear plus Ferry back and forth.

What time of the year are you looking at? High season parking can be fun on both sides of the Estuary.

Sorry to contradict you Zeb but In the lower seasons parking in Dartmouth is not too much of an issue with (at the moment, unless the council get their way and put parking meters in) lots of free parking on the roadside and we are normally lucky and get a place in the Market Square.

The parking pass does help if you have to park in Mayors Avenue car park (the only one in Dartmouth that you can use it in) but in the peak season you may have to wait a while for a space there, parking pass or otherwise.

There are a few places to rent on both sides with parking but they very limited and they tend to be more expensive due to that fact. Often even those with garages/parking you would only get a tiny car into as Dartmouth and Kingswear were built before cars so it is not designed for them.

If you rent a house with parking in Dartmouth check where it is as often they are at the top of the hill towards Townstal and that is one heck of a hill to walk back up again...

Kingswear is South facing so gets more sun later in the day but Dartmouth is where the vast majority of shops, pubs and restaurants are.

If you like to eat out at night you will spend most of your time going across on the Ferry if you are in Kingswear but to some people that adds to the charm.

We have a house in Dartmouth and I can honestly say in 7 years the only time we have ever been over to Kingswear was to go to an Estate Agent who used to have an office over there before we brought our house.

Personally I am biased towards Dartmouth as it has so much more to offer.

Edited: 10:54 am, January 22, 2012
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
3. Re: Dartmouth or Kingswear plus Ferry back and forth.

Thank you both for your comments. We would hope to head over in mid May. We have been browsing the various holiday rental sites looking for a one bed. There seem to be lots of two beds but why pay the extra for a bedroom that we will end up not using. I don't mind a bit of a walk to my car so long as it is safe overnight. I also like the idea of evening sun. I can see how the cost of travelling back and forth on the Ferries could add up.

The plan would be to head off in our car during the day within a 20 or 30 mile radius and when we return in the evening have a pint or a meal.

Gloucestershire
reviews: 2
4. Re: Dartmouth or Kingswear plus Ferry back and forth.

I stayed here in June 2010 and it was amazing

http://www.riversidequay.co.uk/index.htm

You have to park on the street about 5 minutes away and there are 100+ steps (never did count the same nunber twice!) down to the property but it's location was superb. The owners live next door and were very friendly and helpful.

Despite the extra exercise etc required, I would stay there again!

Warwickshire
5. Re: Dartmouth or Kingswear plus Ferry back and forth.

If you are going in May some rental places have reduced occupancy rates if you are using one bedroom that may be worth looking at.

Check the ferry times so you don't get caught on the wrong side of the river if you stay in Kingswear. The afternoon sun is lovely if you have a front facing garden as that is the south facing part. Some places do but check your facts first.

Lots of great places to eat in Dartmouth you will be spoilt for choice!

Leeds.West Yorks.
reviews: 27
6. Re: Dartmouth or Kingswear plus Ferry back and forth.

Dartmouth Music Festival is on 12th/13th/14th May so the town will be very busy during that period, so avoid it if possible. My vote would be for staying in Dartmouth, much more to do than Kingswear. One word of warning, quite a few holiday rentals are at the back of Dartmouth, but the postal address is still Dartmouth, they are a good journey into the town.Check on Google Earth if you're not sure. Depending on how many journey's you want to take on the ferry it's much cheaper to use the higher ferry and buy a multi journey ticket. The usual fare for a car & occupants is, ( or was in 2011) £3.50 each way, a multi journey ticket gives you 20 journey's for £27. BIG saving! You could also travel on the river to Totnes for a nice relaxing hours cruise, but as the river is tidal, you need to be sure you can get back!

I have a holiday home in Brixham and we love Dartmouth!

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
7. Re: Dartmouth or Kingswear plus Ferry back and forth.

This is all good and useful information. Are there any interesting towns both inland and coastal on either side of Dartmouth within a 20 mile radius that are must sees?

Leeds.West Yorks.
reviews: 27
8. Re: Dartmouth or Kingswear plus Ferry back and forth.

Hi again

Totnes is an interesting little market town (market Tues & Friday) it has some very interesting shops and a very eclectic population. It seems to be a settling place for new age traveller types as well as the twin set and pearls brigade. There is a castle to see too. Nearby is Buckfast with it's famous Abbey, worth a look at and it's free to enter.

Also from Dartmouth you can drive along a coastal road to Slapton Sands, if you 'Google' Operation Tiger, it will give you some history of the place. Lovely coastal drive, from there takes you to Kingsbridge, further afield is Salcombe, all very nice places to visit.

Warwickshire
9. Re: Dartmouth or Kingswear plus Ferry back and forth.

Salcombe is about 20 miles away and is a nice place to visit with lots of little shops to potter round. It is not known as Kensington by Sea for nothing though.

What kind of thing do you like to see as that helps people make suggestions.

France
reviews: 21
10. Re: Dartmouth or Kingswear plus Ferry back and forth.

Kensington on Sea sums up the area perfectly. But not in good way.

Get answers to your questions about Dartmouth